Josh Hamilton loses track of outs on game-ending play

Apr 13, 2013, 3:17 AM EST

Josh Hamilton doubled off

Regardless, the Angels were going quietly on Friday night. They didn’t have to go so carelessly as well, though.

Josh Hamilton, the Angels’ $125 million man, forgot how many outs there were on a foul popup in the ninth inning and got doubled off to end Friday’s 5-0 loss to the Astros.

The absent-minded Hamilton went 0-for-4 in the game, dropping his average to .179. He was only on first base in the ninth because he reached on a fielder’s choice. Mark Trumbo followed that with a popup to the left of home plate that catcher Jason Castro caught.  Hamilton, thinking there were two outs, ran it out, even though there was never any chance of it landing fair.

Hamilton wasn’t overly chastised by his manager afterwards, and there was no indication that a day off was in store, though it might not be a bad idea.

“That’s a mental mistake,” Mike Scioscia said. “Josh knows it. He’s accountable.”

The Angels fell to 2-8 with the loss. The Astros are two games better at 4-6.

1. aceshigh11 - Apr 13, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Yikes. What a disaster.

2. badintent - Apr 13, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Josh, leave the stadium beer alone.

3. blazertop - Apr 13, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Angels payroll, 148M
    Astros payroll, 20M

• jeffa43 - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM

5 million goes to Wandy Rodriguez on Pitt.

So it’s actually a roster amount of 17 million…. And The Stros have a better 2b,ss, 3b, catcher, and a lot better starting pitching. Not a bad start for a revamped club.

Critics will eat crow this season!

• cur68 - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Don’t forget manager. Bo Porter > Mike Scioscia

• jeffa43 - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:30 PM

You said it Cur68.

Bo Porter = strong, Inspirational, smart Leader… I’m watching the game and I will run through a wall for him.

4. mungman69 - Apr 13, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Yikes, the Astros have won four games in one month.

• jeffa43 - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Ignore the noise… Look at the team. Stros have a lot of future stars that are real young.

5. chill1184 - Apr 13, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Ouch

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Josh is far from being the first MLB player to have momentary trouble counting to 3 and won’t be the last. My favorite was Larry Walker catching a fly in right and generously handing the ball to a kid in the first row. While trotting back to the dugout he noticed the runner sailing around the bases and had to go back and steal the poor lad’s souvenir. Oops. Benny Agbayani also did something like it. Excrement occurs. If Josh does it again this weekend, then be very concerned.

6. proudlycanadian - Apr 13, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Break up the Astros!

7. randygnyc - Apr 13, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Between Hamilton, trout, Pujols, Trumbo and Burjos, I think there was one hit last night. Angels are in trouble. Maybe trout was a fluke?

• Old Gator - Apr 13, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Maybe he was. He is certainly floundering.

• wlschneider09 - Apr 13, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Seems pretty fishy.

• dondada10 - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Is he washed up?

• orangandblack - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I see what you guys are doing here, very nice

8. mungman69 - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I’m up to my gills with Trout jokes.

• historiophiliac - Apr 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM

So, you’re hooked?

• Mark - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I’m not going to take the bait on that one.

• historiophiliac - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Shucks. Slipped through the net.

• jackrabbit56 - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:50 PM

They went for it hook, line and sinker.

9. onbucky96 - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Must have been part of God’s plan. You know, forgetting how many outs in the 9th. Or maybe he was thinking about another bathroom hook-up. Either way Josh, that was dumb.

10. graymalkin26 - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Just another washed up druggie.

11. graymalkin26 - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM

And Trout is no Harper.

12. lostsok - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I’ve played enough baseball to know how easy that…but it’s surprising to see it this early in the season.

Gotta be talking out there.

13. vallewho - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I would need a drink after something like this.

14. schmedley69 - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM

You guys are writing off Mike Trout after 2 weeks? I’ll take a 21 year-old with his ability on my team any day.

15. papacrick - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Where’s all the morons on here claiming Trout is better than Miggy? Seriously the most laughable thing I’ve ever heard comparing a one year wonder to an all time great who gets it done every day every season. This was so predictable still smh at how dumb some baseball fans are

• paperlions - Apr 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Right back at you. There is so much fail of baseball understanding in your post that I had to do a combo eye-roll-head-shake.

• historiophiliac - Apr 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Grrrrrrr.

16. hcf95688 - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Is he back to smoking the hubba rock?

17. txhockeydad - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Thanks for taking that head-case off the Rangers hands. He is playing just like he did most of last season. You can’t make a good deal with a bad guy. Enjoy!

18. antlerclaws - Apr 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Not just Hamilton, the Angels as a team seem befuddled. Anyone see that play towards the (premature) end of the game where outfielder threw it to cutoff man near 2nd who missed, then the pitcher who was backing him up missed it, and Altuve trotted into 2nd. It was bush-league stuff. I was watching on a tiny TV at work so I couldn’t see exactly who was involved, but even on a small screen it looked bad, like Astros/Angels role-reversal.

19. reeggss - Apr 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM

congrats angels fans, this is what you paid for. A guy who doesnt care enough about winning to play hard and focus on every play. Rangers club house was able to withstand his attitude and lack of effort. We shall see if your clubhouse can hold together. Im sure his teammates are not too upset that he just cost them the last out of a game where they lost to the worst team in the league due to carelessness.
    Waaayyyy to early to call Trout a one year wonder.

• jeffa43 - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Ummm… Your Angels are the worst team in the league. :)

If you don’t believe me you can read the standings.

20. jeffa43 - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Ps… Although I was with my elderly father and remained pretty quiet the entire game attending to anything my father may need to enjoy the game…. Angel security approached us in the 9th inning and took me to the concourse to grill me about complaints of being drunk and loud. I never had a drink and was very quiet all night.

Fans around me told security you obviously have the wrong person. Another example of Angel security on crack and I will make a complaint today…. I missed the 9th inning…

But that’s ok… Angels missed the entire game.

21. ahenobarbuso - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I sort of wonder if Hamilton actually has anyone out there rooting for him anymore? I think his anti-fans might even rival (or at least come close to) A-Rod’s at this point.

I will be honest, I too was disappointed with his perceived lack of effort towards the end of last season. The whole drama regarding the Angels trade coupled by his somewhat disparaging comments about the Ranger’s fan base didn’t really help matters either; if I went to the Ranger’s home opener I may have even been tempted to boo him.

… but now I am sort of starting to pity him a bit.

Sure he may be making more money in one year than most of us will likely see in twenty life times, but I really don’t think he has the mental capacity right now to enjoy any of that money. I also think the booing has gotten to him more than he telling people. I think he actually expects people to sort of idolize him and his story and doesn’t really know how to respond to criticism. I think he has a lot of pent up guilt and other emotional baggage as well; he should seriously consider seeing a psychiatrist, if he isn’t already, to work out these issues.

The Angels only have a shell of Josh right now; I’m thinking they should probably send him down to the minors for a couple of weeks (or longer) so he can rediscover his passion for baseball and sort out his issues.

22. caeser12 - Apr 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Where’s the LA Angels “Doom and Gloom” section? Had this been the Yankees, there would be 20 articles about them with 200-300 comments each.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester