Apr 13, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
It’s tough to be a fan of the Miami Marlins these days. Giancarlo Stanton is the only star on the roster, and the Marlins still may trade him sooner rather than later. The new stadium is a bit of an eyesore. Upper management is aloof, threatening to sue season ticket-holders and banning protesters.
After drawing over 34,000 for the home opener against the Braves on Monday, the Marlins have averaged barely above 15,000 in the three games since and it’s a trend that is expected to carry on through the season. In an attempt to get fans to the ballpark any way possible, the Marlins are introducing a very interesting promotion. Via Fish Stripes:
On Thursdays anyone over the age of 55 can attend a Marlins game for free, and in the “best available” section. Others can get discounts on tickets by visiting sponsors like Subway and Chevron to get the proper coupon for cheaper seating.
Thursdays at Marlins Park may be the only time when the average age of the fans in attendance are more than three times older than the average age of the home team’s roster.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 33
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)