Apr 13, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
It’s tough to be a fan of the Miami Marlins these days. Giancarlo Stanton is the only star on the roster, and the Marlins still may trade him sooner rather than later. The new stadium is a bit of an eyesore. Upper management is aloof, threatening to sue season ticket-holders and banning protesters.
After drawing over 34,000 for the home opener against the Braves on Monday, the Marlins have averaged barely above 15,000 in the three games since and it’s a trend that is expected to carry on through the season. In an attempt to get fans to the ballpark any way possible, the Marlins are introducing a very interesting promotion. Via Fish Stripes:
On Thursdays anyone over the age of 55 can attend a Marlins game for free, and in the “best available” section. Others can get discounts on tickets by visiting sponsors like Subway and Chevron to get the proper coupon for cheaper seating.
Thursdays at Marlins Park may be the only time when the average age of the fans in attendance are more than three times older than the average age of the home team’s roster.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 64
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 30
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)