Apr 13, 2013, 8:51 AM EST
Last night featured round one of what should be a compelling NL East battle between the Braves and Nationals. While the Nationals had the early advantage behind an excellent effort from Ross Detwiler, the Braves came roaring back in the late innings for an eventual 6-4 win in 10 innings.
After scoring one run in the seventh and eighth innings, the Braves evened things up in the ninth against Drew Storen, who was being asked to close with Rafael Soriano unavailable. The big blow of the inning was a wild throw by Ryan Zimmerman which sailed past second base and allowed two runs to score. The Braves pulled ahead in the 10th inning with a two-run homer by utility infielder Ramiro Pena. How’s that for unlikely heroes?
The Braves have now won seven straight games and currently own the best record in the majors at 9-1. Stephen Strasburg will try to get the Nationals back in the win column this afternoon while Tim Hudson is on the mound for Atlanta.
Your Friday box scores:
Phillies 3, Marlins 1 (10 innings)
Tigers 3, Athletics 4 (12 innings)
Rays/Red Sox – postponed
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)