Video: The Yankees’ wild 4-6-5-6-5-3-4 triple play

Apr 13, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT

As Bill noted last night, the Yankees turned a wildly entertaining triple play in the eighth inning of their 5-2 win over the Orioles. Below you’ll find the video, complete with commentary from the different broadcasts. Not surprisingly, the John Sterling one is pretty entertaining.

Great stuff. Most of the focus over the past 36 hours has been on the ugliness of the Carlos Quentin/Zack Greinke brawl, so sometimes it’s easy to overlook the times when players are having fun on a baseball field.

1. cur68 - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM

That was great. Most of that was Youkalis keeping his head up: an eye on his own baseline and an eye on the 1st to 2B line. Great work on his part. He froze the Machado by chasing down the lead runner from deep on the baseline while watching Machado hesitate. Machado SHOULD have retreated to 1st but he wanted 2nd too much and was hung out there, waiting to see where the lead runner would be caught. Next time boys and girls, don’t be greedy. Safe at 1st is safe at first.

• Old Gator - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM

And best of all, because the cameras had to stay panned back to pick up everything that was happening, there were no closeups of Youkilis.

• cur68 - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

And this after he’d shaved and everything! Poor Youk. No respect.

• Old Gator - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I see he dropped his tusks as well. Mating season must have ended early this year.

• bigharold - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM

“.. no closeups of Youkilis.”

Come on now OG, .. now that he’s been assimilated you have to admit he;’s looking better. Everybody looks better in pinstripes, .. I can her ZZ Top’s Sharpe Dressed Man playing now…..

It’s a generally accepted fact that coming over to the dark side has it advantages and looking better is one of them.

• Old Gator - Apr 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Yeah, it sure did wonders for the emperor’s complexion.

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, moron

• cur68 - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:04 PM

8)Fling
        9)Resume tooth picking

/repeat steps 2 through 9 for balance of day

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

No ‘naners?

2. Old Gator - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Even designatedhitterball can be fun sometimes.

• bigharold - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Much more “funner” than watching pitchers hit.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Hey man, the Marlin’s line-up can barely hit outside of Stanton. They need all the help they can get.

3. rmcd13 - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Very poor baserunning by Machado, but also a heads-up play by the Yankees. I love it when baseball players get excited after cool plays.

4. artthoumad - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM

What i love about this is the fact that they jump around in/outside the dugout like little kids in little league. You’re never too old to enjoy a triple play

5. mybrunoblog - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Why can’t Hardballtalk get the ability to show video on Apple based mobile devices? C’mon, join 2013 HBT….

• sabatimus - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

You could also say that Apple needs to get with 2013 and allow Flash player on their devices.

• bleedgreen - Apr 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Flash? You mean the one that even Adobe stopped supporting and no longer works any Android for the past year (4.1+)? The video does not work on my Nexus 7 or Galaxy S3 with AOKP 4.2.2 on it.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM

More like Apple based mobile devices need to join 1996. But hey, keep being a good little iSheep.

Meanwhile I’m enjoying this video on my Blackberry tablet. I can also verify it works fine on Android too.

6. sabatimus - Apr 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM

After the first out, Machado should’ve stayed at first base. Really stupid of him to try for second on that, as he helped eliminate his teammate’s rundown options going from 2nd to 3rd.

• Old Gator - Apr 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Not that anything that happens on Macondo Banana Massacre Field is important this season, but you should have seen Justin Ruggiano get picked off of second base by John Lannan last night – just about ten seconds after a bobble by Ryan Howard got him off the hook for a dipwit rundown he got himself into between first and second.

7. mudhead123 - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I’ll take my apple devices that don’t crash, lock up, and get a billion viruses

• bleedgreen - Apr 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I’ve NEVER gotten a virus on my RHEL 6.3 laptop or my Android phone or tablet. Just staying. I do have a MacBook Pro and several AppleTVs though, which are lovely.

8. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Someone help me out here, as my baseball career ended when I was 12 so not a lot of advanced teaching. If you watch the replay, when Nix throws to Youkilis to get the 2nd out, Youkilis is already running towards 2b before he catches it. Are you taught to do that, to start cutting down the distance between the bases? Or was that an instinctive play by him?

• Kevin S. - Apr 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Not sure about that. I know you’re supposed to hold the ball until the runner turns his hips, and that’s when you throw.

9. nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Funniest line was the woman on MLB channel (sorry, I don’t recall her name) describing the play by numbers, and tossing in “no, I’m not giving you my phone number” and quickly moving along. I did laugh out loud.

10. professor59 - Apr 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I like how instead of seeing the replay 4 times with the same crew, we get to hear 4 different crews call the play.
    Maybe we can get a 5th broadcast, one of Ronald Reagan recreating the play by play after reading the tickertape.

11. 410baltimore - Apr 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM

12. theskinsman - Apr 14, 2013 at 4:40 AM

Youk is the Yanks MVP so far!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3954)