Apr 13, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Losing Derek Jeter will make you do crazy things. Like use Robinson Cano at shortstop, which the Yankees did in the ninth inning against the Baltimore Orioles after having pinch-hit for Jayson Nix. Catcher Francisco Cervelli took Cano’s spot at second base.
Cano has logged 10,490 defensive innings at the Major League level, all of them at second base. Surprisingly, this is not the first time the Yankees have used a catcher at second base — Jorge Posada played there in 2011 during a 22-9 pounding of the Athletics.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (86)