Apr 13, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Losing Derek Jeter will make you do crazy things. Like use Robinson Cano at shortstop, which the Yankees did in the ninth inning against the Baltimore Orioles after having pinch-hit for Jayson Nix. Catcher Francisco Cervelli took Cano’s spot at second base.
Cano has logged 10,490 defensive innings at the Major League level, all of them at second base. Surprisingly, this is not the first time the Yankees have used a catcher at second base — Jorge Posada played there in 2011 during a 22-9 pounding of the Athletics.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)