Apr 13, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Losing Derek Jeter will make you do crazy things. Like use Robinson Cano at shortstop, which the Yankees did in the ninth inning against the Baltimore Orioles after having pinch-hit for Jayson Nix. Catcher Francisco Cervelli took Cano’s spot at second base.
Cano has logged 10,490 defensive innings at the Major League level, all of them at second base. Surprisingly, this is not the first time the Yankees have used a catcher at second base — Jorge Posada played there in 2011 during a 22-9 pounding of the Athletics.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)