“42” is performing well at the box office

Apr 14, 2013, 9:33 AM EST

boseman, ford getty Getty Images

According to Nikki Finke of Deadline Hollywood, the Jackie Robinson biopic “42” is on track to finish No. 1 at the box office this weekend with a take of $27 million and is on track to greatly outperform its budget of $38 million. It debuted on Friday at $9.1 million and got a nice $11.1 million bump Saturday.

For reference, “Scary Movie 5″ pulled in $5.5 million on Friday and $5.9 million on Saturday — making it the second-highest grossing movie in the United States behind “42.” Early projections are giving “Scary Movie 5″ a weekend take of $14.6 million.

An interesting note from Finke’s Deadline Hollywood article:

A Warner Bros exec tells me: “While we do not poll race breakdown, I can tell you we performed extremely well in all the large urban markets. But the highest grossing theaters were the country’s most commercial screens.”

Check out the HBT review of the movie here. It has a 7.7/10 on IMDB and 75% on Rotten Tomatoes.

1. paperlions - Apr 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Well, it is “The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything”….so I can see how people would be interested.

• Old Gator - Apr 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Definitely fine acting. Clearly, Harrison Ford is here to stay, but it was a cumbersome and self-conscious script. Thank Buddha for some of the humor. I think Craig pretty much nailed it in his review: we already knew the story and most of the details. Frankly, it would have been a much more interesting film if it had been told from the point of view of one of the other ballplayers, especially one of the resentful or resistant ones, whose lives and attitudes were changed by their encounters with Robinson.

• paperlions - Apr 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

That sounds about right. It is the self awareness of the script that would drive me up the wall….and I am assuming that there is a great deal of emotional manipulation, which is probably unnecessary as the story is emotional enough. I do hope the film does well and that people that are unfamiliar with the story or what the culture of the day was like go see it and understand that the overt racism is not an exaggeration.

• mgflolox - Apr 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I would bet that what was shown in the movie didn’t even scratch the surface of what Jackie really went through.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I bet you’re right. How could it? We’d need to progress to SimStims* before that would be even nominally possible.

*See William Gibson’s Neuromancer trilogy for the details.

2. thomas844 - Apr 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Saw it last night. Terrific acting (especially by Ford), very moving and inspirational, and it even had great humor. It was a lot funnier than I expected it to be. The scene with Tudyk was very uncomfortable to watch, but I believe it was necessary to give a more realistic sense of what Robinson had to go through.

3. hojo20 - Apr 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Scary Movie 5 sounds like a better bang for my buck.

4. indaburg - Apr 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I saw it yesterday too, and I highly recommend it. Like Craig said in his review, the baseball scenes were top notch. The audience was clapping during plays as if we were watching an actual game. The panorama of Ebbetts Field gave me goosebumps. Some of it was also difficult and excrutiating to watch. During the scene with Chapman, you could feel the air leave the room. Like Thomas said above, I was also surprised by the humor in it. When you have such a heavy topic, the moments of levity are appreciated. The acting was also top notch. According to Don Zimmer, who was a teammate of Robinson’s, the movie was historically accurate, to his surprise.

• beefytrout - Apr 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

“One thing I noticed was that some of the language used was similar to some of the arguments we hear today against gay athletes. It be just a coincidence, but I wonder if that was intentionally done by the filmmakers.”

It’s not a coincidence, and it’s not limited to athletes.

• indaburg - Apr 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I don’t know if the filmmakers intended it–that’s the part I meant about being coincidental. You’re right though. That the arguments sounded similar is not a coincidence.

5. BigBeachBall - Apr 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Hans solo was terrible…

6. barkleyblows - Apr 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Horrible movie… Nothing like promoting racism. There is a reason racism will never end. It’s from stupid crap like this.

• abaird2012 - Apr 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I haven’t seen the movie yet, so WTF are you talking about?

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM

So when you write books, develop movies or talk about factual events in history it promotes racism. I always thought it was best to see where people have gone wrong to help change the future but apparently I’m missing something.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Sounds like you’ve been pucked in the head once too often, frankly.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Yikes, I hope that wasn’t an attempt at a joke because it was horrendous.

7. jvm127 - Apr 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Those numbers are horrible! Just because you tell us the numbers are good doesn’t mean they are. I’m SO sick of this PC world. Retire Jackie Robinson’s number from baseball forever from every team? WTF? I know he was the first black player but there were also “firsts” of every other demographic as well. Just wait until a gay guy comes out and tells everyone “I was the first gay player.” Will he get his number retired from every team forever too? Or is it just PC to do it for the black guy?

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Those numbers are very good for the type of release and the fact that it’s April, not a time when big movies come out.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Those numbers are terrific for a film with real acting and no vampires or exposed genitals.

8. threefingerclown - Apr 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Great news. Hollywood loves to copy a successful formula and milk the teat til it’s bone dry, so maybe we’ll get a few more baseball biopics in theaters. Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente…?

• mgflolox - Apr 14, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I would love to see a biopic about Roberto Clemente. Seems like his life story and tragic death would make for a terrific movie.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I’d love to see the story of the fight over Ted Williams’ frozen body become a movie. You could run it as a double feature with Cold Lazarus and serve breakfast at 7 AM like they used to do after the midnight showings of Our Hitler and Berlin Alexanderplatz.

9. melkipershero - Apr 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

They still make Scary Movies? Whoa.

10. rcali - Apr 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM

This is a Redbox movie. The media though will claim it’s “THE MOVIE OF THE CENTURY!”

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 15, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Nope it’s April. Awards movies are released towards the end of the year but thanks anyways

11. canadabaseball - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Baseball scenes were great ? He hit a walk off HR in the top of the 9th and when the pitcher was releasing the ball he just started to leave . But still a really good movie witch appeals to those who don’t already know the story

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Who doesn’t already know the story? Are we talking about second graders here?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester