Apr 14, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
According to Nikki Finke of Deadline Hollywood, the Jackie Robinson biopic “42” is on track to finish No. 1 at the box office this weekend with a take of $27 million and is on track to greatly outperform its budget of $38 million. It debuted on Friday at $9.1 million and got a nice $11.1 million bump Saturday.
For reference, “Scary Movie 5″ pulled in $5.5 million on Friday and $5.9 million on Saturday — making it the second-highest grossing movie in the United States behind “42.” Early projections are giving “Scary Movie 5″ a weekend take of $14.6 million.
An interesting note from Finke’s Deadline Hollywood article:
A Warner Bros exec tells me: “While we do not poll race breakdown, I can tell you we performed extremely well in all the large urban markets. But the highest grossing theaters were the country’s most commercial screens.”
Check out the HBT review of the movie here. It has a 7.7/10 on IMDB and 75% on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 35
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)