Apr 14, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
According to Nikki Finke of Deadline Hollywood, the Jackie Robinson biopic “42″ is on track to finish No. 1 at the box office this weekend with a take of $27 million and is on track to greatly outperform its budget of $38 million. It debuted on Friday at $9.1 million and got a nice $11.1 million bump Saturday.
For reference, “Scary Movie 5″ pulled in $5.5 million on Friday and $5.9 million on Saturday — making it the second-highest grossing movie in the United States behind “42.” Early projections are giving “Scary Movie 5″ a weekend take of $14.6 million.
An interesting note from Finke’s Deadline Hollywood article:
A Warner Bros exec tells me: “While we do not poll race breakdown, I can tell you we performed extremely well in all the large urban markets. But the highest grossing theaters were the country’s most commercial screens.”
Check out the HBT review of the movie here. It has a 7.7/10 on IMDB and 75% on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)