Apr 14, 2013, 9:33 AM EST
According to Nikki Finke of Deadline Hollywood, the Jackie Robinson biopic “42″ is on track to finish No. 1 at the box office this weekend with a take of $27 million and is on track to greatly outperform its budget of $38 million. It debuted on Friday at $9.1 million and got a nice $11.1 million bump Saturday.
For reference, “Scary Movie 5″ pulled in $5.5 million on Friday and $5.9 million on Saturday — making it the second-highest grossing movie in the United States behind “42.” Early projections are giving “Scary Movie 5″ a weekend take of $14.6 million.
An interesting note from Finke’s Deadline Hollywood article:
A Warner Bros exec tells me: “While we do not poll race breakdown, I can tell you we performed extremely well in all the large urban markets. But the highest grossing theaters were the country’s most commercial screens.”
Check out the HBT review of the movie here. It has a 7.7/10 on IMDB and 75% on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)