Apr 14, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
According to Nikki Finke of Deadline Hollywood, the Jackie Robinson biopic “42″ is on track to finish No. 1 at the box office this weekend with a take of $27 million and is on track to greatly outperform its budget of $38 million. It debuted on Friday at $9.1 million and got a nice $11.1 million bump Saturday.
For reference, “Scary Movie 5″ pulled in $5.5 million on Friday and $5.9 million on Saturday — making it the second-highest grossing movie in the United States behind “42.” Early projections are giving “Scary Movie 5″ a weekend take of $14.6 million.
An interesting note from Finke’s Deadline Hollywood article:
A Warner Bros exec tells me: “While we do not poll race breakdown, I can tell you we performed extremely well in all the large urban markets. But the highest grossing theaters were the country’s most commercial screens.”
Check out the HBT review of the movie here. It has a 7.7/10 on IMDB and 75% on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 200
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)