Apr 14, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Good news on the Alex Rodriguez rehab front.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, the veteran third baseman told Yankees manager Joe Girardi on Saturday that he is able to run slowly on a treadmill without feeling any sort of lingering pain or discomfort in his surgically-repaired hip. “He was pretty fired up about that,” Girardi said later in a talk with the media.
Rodriguez underwent major hip surgery in January and is not expected to be ready for major league action again until after the All-Star break. Kevin Youkilis has been playing third for the Yankees.
Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times reported Friday that A-Rod (or one of his associates) tried to purchase documents from the Miami-based Biogenesis clinic with the intention of destroying them. Major League Baseball is currently investigating Biogenesis, so the attempt by A-Rod could be viewed as a violation of the Joint Drug Agreement — which demands cooperation from players during PED investigations.
And that violation could alone lead to a suspension of some kind. Something to watch for.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)