Apr 14, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin has dropped the appeal of his eight-game suspension and will begin serving the sentence on Sunday. This according to staff writer Scott Bair of the North County Times.
Quentin charged at Dodgers starter Zack Greinke and broke the right-hander’s left collarbone on Thursday after getting hit by a pitch. That set off a benches-clearing brawl that resulted in Dodgers utilityman Jerry Hairston Jr. receiving a one-game suspension of his own. Hairston appealed that but hasn’t heard back from the commissioner’s office.
Quentin was hoping to have his sentence reduced a few games, but he wasn’t going to be very active in the Padres’ upcoming series with the Dodgers — to avoid added drama — so he decided to go ahead and get the eight-game suspension started. That should be a heated three-game set even without Quentin around.
Greinke underwent surgery for his fractured clavicle on Sunday and will miss the next eight weeks. Quentin, 30, was batting .174/.310/.304 with no homers and four strikeouts through 29 plate appearances.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)