Apr 14, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin has dropped the appeal of his eight-game suspension and will begin serving the sentence on Sunday. This according to staff writer Scott Bair of the North County Times.
Quentin charged at Dodgers starter Zack Greinke and broke the right-hander’s left collarbone on Thursday after getting hit by a pitch. That set off a benches-clearing brawl that resulted in Dodgers utilityman Jerry Hairston Jr. receiving a one-game suspension of his own. Hairston appealed that but hasn’t heard back from the commissioner’s office.
Quentin was hoping to have his sentence reduced a few games, but he wasn’t going to be very active in the Padres’ upcoming series with the Dodgers — to avoid added drama — so he decided to go ahead and get the eight-game suspension started. That should be a heated three-game set even without Quentin around.
Greinke underwent surgery for his fractured clavicle on Sunday and will miss the next eight weeks. Quentin, 30, was batting .174/.310/.304 with no homers and four strikeouts through 29 plate appearances.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)