Apr 14, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
As first reported by MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat, the Cubs have claimed right-handed reliever Kameron Loe off waivers from the Mariners. Backup catcher Steve Clevenger was put on the 60-day disabled list with an oblique strain to clear a roster spot.
Loe was designated for assignment by Seattle late last week after allowing 11 hits, one walk and eight earned runs over his first 6 2/3 innings. The 31-year-old had a cool 3.61 ERA and 1.27 WHIP in 229 1/3 innings between 2008-2012 with the Rangers and Brewers, and should have something left in the tank.
Loe will operate as a middle reliever in Chicago’s bullpen, which has been a disaster this year.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)