Apr 14, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
As first reported by MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat, the Cubs have claimed right-handed reliever Kameron Loe off waivers from the Mariners. Backup catcher Steve Clevenger was put on the 60-day disabled list with an oblique strain to clear a roster spot.
Loe was designated for assignment by Seattle late last week after allowing 11 hits, one walk and eight earned runs over his first 6 2/3 innings. The 31-year-old had a cool 3.61 ERA and 1.27 WHIP in 229 1/3 innings between 2008-2012 with the Rangers and Brewers, and should have something left in the tank.
Loe will operate as a middle reliever in Chicago’s bullpen, which has been a disaster this year.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 0
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 17
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)