Apr 14, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that the Cubs have signed veteran reliever Kevin Gregg to a minor league contract. He will report to the team’s spring training complex in Mesa, Arizona to begin pitching in extended spring training games and will then probably join the bullpen at Triple-A Iowa.
Gregg was released by the Dodgers on April 3 after failing to secure an Opening Day bullpen spot. He posted cool a 0.82 ERA and struck out five batters without issuing a walk in 11 Cactus League innings.
The 34-year-old right-hander had an uninspiring 4.95 ERA, 1.70 WHIP and 37/24 K/BB ratio in 43 2/3 innings last season with the Orioles. He owns a 4.13 career ERA and a 1.38 career WHIP.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 9
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 105
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 98
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (104)