Apr 14, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that the Cubs have signed veteran reliever Kevin Gregg to a minor league contract. He will report to the team’s spring training complex in Mesa, Arizona to begin pitching in extended spring training games and will then probably join the bullpen at Triple-A Iowa.
Gregg was released by the Dodgers on April 3 after failing to secure an Opening Day bullpen spot. He posted cool a 0.82 ERA and struck out five batters without issuing a walk in 11 Cactus League innings.
The 34-year-old right-hander had an uninspiring 4.95 ERA, 1.70 WHIP and 37/24 K/BB ratio in 43 2/3 innings last season with the Orioles. He owns a 4.13 career ERA and a 1.38 career WHIP.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)