Apr 14, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that the Cubs have signed veteran reliever Kevin Gregg to a minor league contract. He will report to the team’s spring training complex in Mesa, Arizona to begin pitching in extended spring training games and will then probably join the bullpen at Triple-A Iowa.
Gregg was released by the Dodgers on April 3 after failing to secure an Opening Day bullpen spot. He posted cool a 0.82 ERA and struck out five batters without issuing a walk in 11 Cactus League innings.
The 34-year-old right-hander had an uninspiring 4.95 ERA, 1.70 WHIP and 37/24 K/BB ratio in 43 2/3 innings last season with the Orioles. He owns a 4.13 career ERA and a 1.38 career WHIP.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)