Apr 14, 2013, 12:51 PM EST
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that the Cubs have signed veteran reliever Kevin Gregg to a minor league contract. He will report to the team’s spring training complex in Mesa, Arizona to begin pitching in extended spring training games and will then probably join the bullpen at Triple-A Iowa.
Gregg was released by the Dodgers on April 3 after failing to secure an Opening Day bullpen spot. He posted cool a 0.82 ERA and struck out five batters without issuing a walk in 11 Cactus League innings.
The 34-year-old right-hander had an uninspiring 4.95 ERA, 1.70 WHIP and 37/24 K/BB ratio in 43 2/3 innings last season with the Orioles. He owns a 4.13 career ERA and a 1.38 career WHIP.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)