Apr 14, 2013, 8:20 PM EST
Cueto was removed after getting one out in the fifth inning of last night’s game with the Pirates with an apparent triceps injury. He was evaluated by team doctors today and the Reds have decided to play it safe with their ace.
In Cueto’s absence, expect prospect Tony Cingrani to get the call. The 23-year-old left-hander started the season with Triple-A Louisville and has gotten off to a good start. The Bats limited his pitch count today in the event he would be promoted to fill in for Cueto. As such, Cingrani threw 41 pitches before being pulled.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 8
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 30
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 92
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (97)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)