Apr 14, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Cueto was removed after getting one out in the fifth inning of last night’s game with the Pirates with an apparent triceps injury. He was evaluated by team doctors today and the Reds have decided to play it safe with their ace.
In Cueto’s absence, expect prospect Tony Cingrani to get the call. The 23-year-old left-hander started the season with Triple-A Louisville and has gotten off to a good start. The Bats limited his pitch count today in the event he would be promoted to fill in for Cueto. As such, Cingrani threw 41 pitches before being pulled.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)