Apr 14, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Indians outfielder Michael Bourn suffered a laceration on his right index finger when he slid head-first into first base to avoid colliding with White Sox reliever Matt Thornton in this afternoon’s game. Thornton accidentally stepped on Bourn’s finger with his cleat, causing the laceration.
MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that Bourn had five stitches put in his hand and won’t be able to play until those stitches are removed — a time period of 5-7 days, he suggests.
Bourn has had a good start to the season with his new team, hitting .333 with seven extra-base hits in 45 trips to the plate.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)