Apr 14, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Indians outfielder Michael Bourn suffered a laceration on his right index finger when he slid head-first into first base to avoid colliding with White Sox reliever Matt Thornton in this afternoon’s game. Thornton accidentally stepped on Bourn’s finger with his cleat, causing the laceration.
MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that Bourn had five stitches put in his hand and won’t be able to play until those stitches are removed — a time period of 5-7 days, he suggests.
Bourn has had a good start to the season with his new team, hitting .333 with seven extra-base hits in 45 trips to the plate.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)