Apr 14, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
The Phillies defeated the Marlins 2-1 this afternoon behind a strong start by Roy Halladay. The right-hander allowed just the one run on five hits and a walk with just two strikeouts. Laynce Nix pinch-hit for Halladay in the top of the 9th and broke the 1-1 tie with a solo home run, putting the veteran in line for his 200th victory. Jonathan Papelbon nailed down the save, allowing Halladay to become the 112th pitcher in baseball history to earn 200 or more career victories.
Halladay struggled in his first two starts, allowing 12 runs in 7.1 innings of work, but was able to right the ship at least for one day against the Marlins. All along, Halladay has insisted his problems were mental and not physical, despite mechanical changes, a drop in velocity, and an altered approach.
Always businesslike, Halladay was in no mood to celebrate the milestone:
Phillies presented Roy Halladay with a champagne magnum celebrating his 200th victory. “I’d rather have a World Series,” he told teammates.
— Matt Gelb (@magelb) April 14, 2013
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)