Apr 14, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
Ted Lilly, recovering from surgery on his left shoulder, has refused a Minor League assignment from the Dodgers. Lilly was thought to be the replacement in the rotation for the injured Zack Greinke, but the Dodgers opted to use Chris Capuano instead, feeling that Lilly wasn’t yet ready.
MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick reports that the Dodgers have four options: activate Lilly, designate him for assignment, release him, or trade him.
Manager Don Mattingly spoke on the matter:
“We laid out a plan and Teddy doesn’t want to be part of the plan. It’s out of my hands. We didn’t feel he was ready to pitch at the Major League level. For me, it’s a baseball decision. It’s nothing personal in any way, shape or form. We’re giving him our baseball thoughts, what we think is best for him and the team.”
Lilly, now 37 years old, posted a 3.14 ERA in eight starts last year before landing on the disabled list. He is owed $12 million in the last year of his contract.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 34
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)