Apr 14, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
Ted Lilly, recovering from surgery on his left shoulder, has refused a Minor League assignment from the Dodgers. Lilly was thought to be the replacement in the rotation for the injured Zack Greinke, but the Dodgers opted to use Chris Capuano instead, feeling that Lilly wasn’t yet ready.
MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick reports that the Dodgers have four options: activate Lilly, designate him for assignment, release him, or trade him.
Manager Don Mattingly spoke on the matter:
“We laid out a plan and Teddy doesn’t want to be part of the plan. It’s out of my hands. We didn’t feel he was ready to pitch at the Major League level. For me, it’s a baseball decision. It’s nothing personal in any way, shape or form. We’re giving him our baseball thoughts, what we think is best for him and the team.”
Lilly, now 37 years old, posted a 3.14 ERA in eight starts last year before landing on the disabled list. He is owed $12 million in the last year of his contract.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)