And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Apr 15, 2013, 5:55 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers v Oakland Athletics Getty Images

Tigers 10, Athletics 1: Austin Jackson was 4 for 6 with three RBI. Prince Fielder is now hitting .429/.527/.833. Once this team gets its bullpen figured out, man, watch out.

Diamondbacks 1, Dodgers 0: When Nick Swisher hit a walkoff homer single in a 1-0 game the other day I thought to myself, “man, you don’t see that happen all that often.” Then it happened again, this time with Paul Goldschmidt hitting a game-winning single to win a 1-0 game. If it happens one more time in the next week I’m going to take it as a sign of something important and meaningful and will use the experience to examine everything I thought I knew.

Braves 9, Nationals 0: Impressed yet, Danny Espinosa and Gio GonzalezNo? What do you need to see, then?

Mariners 4, Rangers 3: Rookie Brandon Maurer was shellacked by the Astros in his last start but tamed the Rangers in this one. Mildly unexpected stuff like this, multiplied by the thousands upon thousands of times they occur during a baseball season, is why I spend most of my energy reacting to things rather than predicting things or acting like I have some key to understanding this game that no one else has. Stuff happens. In a couple thousand games a year. Anyone who ever claims that they know what’s gonna happen in any one, or really, any small handful of games is a liar or a fool.

Red Sox 5, Rays 0: Clay Buchholz took a no-hitter into the eighth. Pity the Rays broke it up, as it puts them behind their usual schedule of getting no-hit. They’re really gonna have to work to get back on pace.

Rockies 2, Padres 1: Todd Helton‘s two-run, pinch-hit homer in the seventh would’ve fallen about ten feet in front of the wall a year ago. Hope you like the new dimensions at Petco Park, Padres. You asked for ‘em.

Giants 10, Cubs 7: The Cubs threw five wild pitches while giving up four runs in the sixth. Then Shawn Camp balked in what would be the winning run in the tenth. Strong effort, fellas.

Angels 4, Astros 1: Josh Hamilton singled, tripled and homered. That and taking two out of three from Houston is a nice way to make up for Friday night’s embarrassing effort. Perchance that was the low point and now the ship is righted. Or perhaps anyone can take two of three from the Astros.

Brewers 4, Cardinals 3: This guy was probably happy after Jonathan Lucroy hit a homer in the tenth. All Brewers fans were probably happy to see Milwaukee’s 32-inning scoreless streak end in the eighth when Ryan Braun went deep.

Royals 3, Blue Jays 2: Kansas City avoids being swept with Alex Gordon‘s walkoff RBI single. Ervin Santana pitched eight strong innings. Jays’ manager John Gibbons said this after the game: “They’re scrappy. They battle you.” If the Royals meet the Diamondbacks in the World Series the narrative-construction is going to be so thick and insufferable I’m probably just gonna give the whole thing a miss and take a vacation someplace instead.

Pirates 10, Reds 7: Michael McKenry hit two homers. The Pirates were down by five heading into the seventh and then scored ten runs in the seventh and eighth. I credit the sweet, sweet pullover jerseys and yellow caps they were wearing.

White Sox 3, Indians 1: Jake Peavy struck out 11 and gave up a lone run helping the pale hose break their five-game losing streak. In other news, I think after a couple years worth of using “Chisox” as this team’s third reference (following “the White Sox” and “Chicago,”) I’m now gonna try hard to use pale hose more often.

Phillies 2, Marlins 1: Roy Halladay gets his 200th career win. Assuming you count wins against minor league teams like Miami too.

Yankees 3, Orioles 0: Hiroki Kuroda shut ‘em out on five hits without walking a soul. The Yankees continue not to be doomed somehow.

Mets vs. Twins: POSTPONED: The wind it was howling and the snow was outrageous. We chopped through the night and we chopped through the dawn. When he died I was hoping that it wasn’t contagious. But I made up my mind that I had to go on.

1. mrfloydpink - Apr 15, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I don’t think that, “anyone can take two of three from the Astros.”

For example, I think there are a handful of single-A teams that would have trouble doing so. Maybe 1-2 college teams, too. And maybe half the little league teams in the country.

• sdsuffron - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM

And the Seattle Mariners.

• kelshannon19 - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM

That’s funny. I remember the Astros taking 2 of 3 from the mariners and putting up 24 runs in two games.

• rmcd13 - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Reading comprehension fail on kelshannon19.

• kelshannon19 - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Ah damn

2. redguy12588 - Apr 15, 2013 at 6:52 AM

The pirates swept the reds this weekend, that in itself is rare, first time since 2010, but the reds had cueto and latos starting against two AAA starters and the pirates won still.

April baseball is strange.

• natslady - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Agree. Last week the Reds and the Nats were the best teams in the NL, man, it was gonna be some NLCS! After this weekend, both teams are in the toilet. Power rankings turned upside down!!! OK, maybe not, the Fish are still bad.

3. uyf1950 - Apr 15, 2013 at 6:56 AM

If only Hughes and Nova could pitch like Kuroda, CC and Andy.

• Kevin S. - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Heck, I’ll take both of them getting back to league averagish. It’s tough to tell with Phil if this is just because he didn’t really get a proper rehab or not. Even still, Yanks should seriously consider manipulating the rotation so that he pitches most of his games on the road. Can’t think of a pitcher hurt more by YSIII.

• wlschneider09 - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM

How is Pineada progressing, just out of curiosity?

• Kevin S. - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I think he’s still on track to come back in June, although I wouldn’t push a shoulder injury like that.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I’m not sure why Nova hasn’t been sent back to AAA yet. I’d rather see Phelps or Warren get a shot at the rotation. After a very promising start, Nova’s career has headed downhill ever since.

4. crispybasil - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:27 AM

The air is fresher, the beer crisper, and the apple pie sweeter when Craig’s Braves are 11 – 1.

• kiwicricket - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:31 AM

What about the cake?

• Kevin S. - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:45 AM

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Quack….quack…….quack…

• proudlycanadian - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:33 AM

That comment takes the cake.

• 4d3fect - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Pie has a life of its own, you know.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I prefer Pi over pie. Pi is infinite.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Have you ever tried to have a civil conversation with Pi? Waste of time; it becomes irrational.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Agreed. Rather than a boring conversation with Pi, I would much rather have my cake and eat it too.

5. nbjays - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Didn’t watch much of the Jays game, as the Masters took precedence on my TV. At least they won the series. Now it’s back to Rogers Centre and Buehrle taking on his old team. Go Jays!

• proudlycanadian - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:40 AM

A very interesting development going on with the Jays. Bautista is now playing third base. Lawrie played second base in a rehab game yesterday and was the middle man in 2 double plays. Anyone who has seen Lawrie play in short right field during a shift knows that he can play second and is Toronto’s best option at that position. Bonifacio has demonstrated that he is much better in the outfield than at second base. Expect that Davis and Bonifacio will share right field with Gose being groomed to eventually take over.

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Thats a nice story proudly but the bottom line is this the jays cant field and they cant pitch so good luck with that 5-7 team cause you are gonna need it

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM

That’s not a development. That’s a mutation.

I still expect, barring another epidemic of injuries that reads like a bordereaux from a Civil War field hospital, that the Feather Lice will be sitting atop the division come September.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Amen!

6. Tim OShenko - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:02 AM

A Royals – Diamondbacks WS would be the best worst thing ever. The highest scoring game would end 3-2, despite both pitching staffs giving up a ton of hits and walks. A record-setting number of 4-6-3 double plays would be turned on account of all the hit-and-runs. Jason Kubel would be benched the day after hitting a game-winning home run, for striking out bunting in a previous at-bat. The series MVP would be a middle reliever.

7. heyblueyoustink - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM

” Impressed yet, Danny Espinosa and Gio Gonzalez? No? What do you need to see, then?”

And in my head I hear:

“Are you not entertained! Is this not why you are here!”

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Sounds like God talking to Moses after burning the Ten Commandments.

8. alexo0 - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM

The Rays may be behind schedule, but I believe they have the lineup to get them right back on track.

9. randygnyc - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Mets twins comment wins the day, Craig.

10. Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Doc could have beaten anyone last night. He was sharp, his breaking pitches were falling sharply and he was throwing hard and throwing strikes. Kevin Slowey was also sharp – the boolpen lost it on Nix’s home run off Rauch in the 9th – and in the series the Feelies outscored the Feesh by, I think, two runs total. So let’s not have too much gloating here – there’s a lot of repair work to do on the banks of the Pfiesteria-infested Delaware too. The only difference is that the Feelies are likely to make those repairs eventually while Scrooge McLoria sits in his money bin counting his luxury tax remittances. But maybe I shouldn’t be throwing stones; I’m probably saving a fortune by leaving the strange attractor in storage this season myself.

The announced attendance was twenty one thousand and change. Hard to believe that six or seven thousand people thought Jose Fernandez was peetching two games in a row. However, the concessionaires sold nineteen beers and eleven hot dogs. Hmmmmm.

Feesh are now 2-10. That projects to 2-160 for the season.

• indaburg - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Indametrics projects to 27 wins and 135 losses, using the coefficient factor of Loria’s douchiness, the ambient relative humidity, and the salinity of Feesh fan tears multiplied by cake, which is like pi, but better. The numbers are starting to get more realistic.

• historiophiliac - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Does that include an 80 proof rum factor or did you use a different libation for your dilution?

• indaburg - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Divided by 80 proof rum, yes.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM

These predictival models diverge like the competing hurricane tracking models we’re going to be seeing on the Weather Channel in a few more weeks. In the modren day and age, everybody’s computer got a different virus. It’s Florida. Whaddya esspeck?

• indaburg - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

A hurricane tracking model is a perfect analogy. David Fernandez is like a high pressure system coming in from Cuba, messing up my spaghetti models.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Jose Fernandez is even higher pressure. Boy, designatedhitterball really dulls all the sensibilities.

• indaburg - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM

My formula may have a tad too much rum.

I’m being lulled to sleep watching the Rays bat swing futilely. It’s so soothing.

• historiophiliac - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM

While good hitting offends Gator’s sensibilities, that pitcherwannabehitter ball makes no sense. A Lady must decide whether to abide by her sense or her sensibilities…

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM

In which case Fernandez’ game-tying single the other night doesn’t happen and the Feesh are 1-11. A pitcher batting successfully – or even hitting into some absurd defensive multi-play – adds a dimension of surprise and delight to the game that the terminal monotony of designatedhitterball cannot hope to generate.

• historiophiliac - Apr 15, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Gator, I can’t even hate on you if you need your pitcher to hit.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM

That’s a relief, considering all the hairy clawed things with eyeballs and fangs sussurating in my closet and under my bed at night. Thanks for not piling on.

11. sportsdrenched - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I was out of pocket doing not baseball things this weekend. I knew the Blue Jays were trouble for the Royals, and I’m not excited about this road trip through ATL-BOS-DET for them either.

They come home 4-4 then I might be excited.

As for the scrappy thing. My keen scouting experience for scrappyness tells me that Chris Getz contains so much scrap that Dayton should be able to call up Kevin Towers and get Trevor Cahill AND Brandon McCarthy for him.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM

If your joey were out of pocket, you could be charged with wallaby abuse.

12. wonkypenguin - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Between the Padres/Dodgers and the Braves/Nats, I’m enjoying the rivalries and jawing and enjoyment of April baseball. Rock on.

• wonkypenguin - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Dammit! I was going to add “enjoy” in one more context there but I decided to only look a little stupid before posting it. /EDIT FUNCTION

13. spudchukar - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM

The Cards, on the verge of sweeping the Brewers, climbing to 8-4, and creating a three game advantage on the Reds called on Boggs, to nail down the victory, and predictably he blew up and St. Louis pissed away the final game of the homestand.

Boggs got help too, Rosenthal surrendered a two run shot to Braun, on a one-in-a-thousand swing, a line drive down the right field line that cleared the fence by a foot and stayed fair by two, thus eliminating any chance the Cards have of rectifying their closer role, and undoubtedly securing Boggs’ ninth inning act.

Salas, the only other option for closer then served up a game winner on a fastball that dissected the K-zone perfectly, and St. Louis stumbled to a mid-April 7-5 record, and threw away a series sweep against a very bad Brewer line-up.

Manager Roenicke tried his darnedest to prevent his team from capitalizing on Boggs inability to pitch, by giving up Aoki’s opportunity to drive in the lead run in the ninth, when he inexplicably insisted he opt for the sacrifice/safety sqeeze, which failed miserably, giving the Red Birds another chance which they failed to capitalize on.

But, back to the closer role. Boggs flat out cannot handle it. No command, which negates his ability to pitch inside to right-handers, who then can drive the ball to right center. Most often he will have already issued a free pass or two and the game’s outcome is in serious jeopardy.

So, what is an organization to do, when their closer, almost certainly faces TJ, their first option has the reliability of an Edsel, and the other choices aren’t either ready, proven, or very good? Most would bite the bullet, and swing a trade for an Andrew Bailey? perhaps, but the Cards will choose the so-called more prudent route, and of course cheaper one too and continue to give Boggs the role until he implodes and the franchise expends all the cheaper alternatives.

Here is what I do know. 2014 will see the exiting of Carpenter, Beltran, and Westbrook, and their 32 mil+, salaries, creating arguably the best value an ownership has seen in decades. The fans deserve immediate action, the team with a little front office assistance, could once again provide the city with some post-season magic, but will struggle mightily without a legitimate closer, who does not reside on any current Cardinal roster be it major or minor.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM

April is the cruellest month, breeding
      Victories out of hopeless expectations, repressing
      Memory with delusion, teasing
      False hopes with spring wins.
      Winter kept us sane, bestirring
      Fanboys with big trades, signing
      A free agent with big bonuses,
      Summer will chasten us, overcoming the hollow exultations
      With a vomit of reality; we stopped in the mezzanine,
      And went on in air conditioning, into the Clevelander,
      And drank watered down beer, and kvetchedfor an hour….

Aw shit, Ezra got crocked and passed out again.

• spudchukar - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM

OK, enlighten me if I don’t have this correct. The above is a conversation between poets Pound, who was born here in the town in which I live, and Eliot, penner of “The Waste Land”, from which the “April…month” is the opening line?

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM

You live in Hailey? Well goddamn….ackcherley, it’s a backhanded reference to the hilarious correspondence between Pound and Eliot and the often funny editorial comments Pound made on the first draft of “The Waste Land” (wonderfully preserved in the Annotated Waste Land, the facsimile edition of that draft which I think is available in paperback).

But mostly it’s a dump on the homeboys who get excited by the early season successes of teams that haven’t really got a prayer.

Eh, Eliot became such a Sloaney stuffed shirt that I couldn’t even imagine him going to a game anywhere but Lord’s.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Oops, pardon me. The Annotated Waste Land is the one with Eliot’s own notes on his labyrinth of allusions and references. The one with Ezra’s commentary is (takes a deep breath) The Waste Land: A Facsimile and Transcript of the Original Drafts, Including the Annotations of Ezra Pound

• spudchukar - Apr 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Yep, Hailey is indeed my home, also the burial spot of one of your favs, Papa Ernest. I believe T.S. was born in St. Louis, so he should be a Cards fan, but since he preferred hangouts more like The Cock and Bull I doubt if he was much of a baseball fan.

• spudchukar - Apr 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Yep, Hailey it is my home, also the burial place of your fav, Ernest himself. If I am not mistaken Eliot, like me, was born in St. Louis, so he should be a Cards fan, but since he preferred the Cock and Bull, a baseball stadium was hardly a likely hangout.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

So what is this thing that draws St. Louisians to Hailey, anyway? Are you running some kind of safe house up there?

• spudchukar - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Tucked away here in Central Idaho is a little county called Blaine. A progressive bastion, in an otherwise extremely Red/red state. The four connecting towns of Bellevue, Hailey, Ketchum, and Sun Valley are a unique blend of extraordinary wealth, ski enthusiasts, out door fans, art aficionados, and hell raisers. Also an inordinate number of Baseball fans, many of whom root for the Cardinals. As to why so many St. Louisans end up here is an enigma. Every story seems unique. None with any connection whatsoever. It is just odd.

14. sportsdrenched - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Must be Patriots Day. Noticed the Red Sox start at 10a Central time. Morning baseball is good.

• historiophiliac - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM

What’s up w/ the am start?

• indaburg - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM

The Rays want to get back on their no-hit schedule early. It frees up the rest of the day.

• historiophiliac - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Easy on the tea then. You got all day.

• stex52 - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I was out just about all day so I missed most of the details. I just realized what happened yesterday, Inda. The heart of my fantasy lineup comes from the Nats, Dodgers and Rays. Who got shut out yesterday?

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Henrique Capriles. Sorry, Francisco – but once he’s made a pig’s breakfast of the economy for a couple more years, without Chavez’ charisma to excuse it, I suspect he’ll find himself sitting in an army prison while the OAS pressures the military to hold new elections.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Morning nookie is better.

15. APBA Guy - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM

The A’s got muscled pretty good by the Tigers yesterday, in what looked like a continuation of Saturday’s game. Lost in the hand-wringing over Mr. Anderson and Parker’s woeful performances is that the A’s offense was effectively shut down by Detroit’s pitching. Yesterday in the high sky and bright sunlight Anibal Sanchez did what he’s been doing lately and held the A’s to 3 hits and 4 walks in 7. If the Tigers were intending to make a statement to the A’s that last years ALDS was no fluke, they succeeded.

Interesting sidelight in the Arizona-Dodger game yesterday: In a game started by ex-A Trevor Cahill, reliever Brad Ziegler got Mark Ellis to ground out to Eric Chavez.

At least the current A’s have the Astros coming to town to take their minds off being pummeled.

• historiophiliac - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I want you to know Sanchez had me sweating pretty good there for a bit. I was complaining why the manager wasn’t paying a visit to the mound…and then he finally came out. Thank you, Jobu. Of course, it would’ve been better if we were playing you with Crisp & Cespedes in the lineup too. It’s better when you have to work for it.

• detroitr1 - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Even without their two most potent hitters, Oakland made both JV and Sanchez work beyond their pitch counts in the early innings. They are not going to be easy for any team to deal with if they stay healthy.

• historiophiliac - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Agreed.

• APBA Guy - Apr 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM

The A’s definitely work the count. And not having Cespedes hurts for sure, though the difference between Crisp and Young is hard to detect so far.

But talent wise, on offense, we have no answers for Miggy and Prince. Even though A-Jax had a great game yesterday, I think knowing that Miggy and Prince are always there, and also having Martinez back, that’s a higher quality level than the A’s have. That level of ability sure seemed to get into Anderson’s head, if not Parkers. Parker has been erratic all 3 starts. The A’s handled that same quality level with the Angels, but the Angels guys weren’t untracked yet. The Tiger’s hitters seem like they’re in mid-season form. Very, very impressive.

16. mgflolox - Apr 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Giants – Cubs game was easily the sloppiest Major League game I have ever seen. I’m still amazed that the score was that close.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5071)