Apr 15, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
In honor of “42” being in theaters IMDB.com managing editor Keith Simanton ranked his top 10 baseball movies of all time, with “Field of Dreams” leading the way and my favorite, “Bull Durham,” ranking third.
It’s definitely worth reading, although it’s a little tough to take any list of the best baseball movies seriously when it doesn’t include “Major League” and does include “Fever Pitch.” (Oh, and also “Fever Pitch” ahead of “The Natural”?!)
I’m not saying “Major League” is the best baseball movie–and it certainly isn’t trying to do anything as lofty as, say, “Field of Dreams” or “The Natural”–but it’s legitimately funny and charming and actually holds up pretty well two decades later.
I’d definitely have “Major League” and “The Sandlot” on my list. And as always “Field of Dreams” is overrated.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 47
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 58
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)