Apr 15, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
In honor of “42” being in theaters IMDB.com managing editor Keith Simanton ranked his top 10 baseball movies of all time, with “Field of Dreams” leading the way and my favorite, “Bull Durham,” ranking third.
It’s definitely worth reading, although it’s a little tough to take any list of the best baseball movies seriously when it doesn’t include “Major League” and does include “Fever Pitch.” (Oh, and also “Fever Pitch” ahead of “The Natural”?!)
I’m not saying “Major League” is the best baseball movie–and it certainly isn’t trying to do anything as lofty as, say, “Field of Dreams” or “The Natural”–but it’s legitimately funny and charming and actually holds up pretty well two decades later.
I’d definitely have “Major League” and “The Sandlot” on my list. And as always “Field of Dreams” is overrated.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 8
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 6
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (82)