Apr 15, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
In honor of “42” being in theaters IMDB.com managing editor Keith Simanton ranked his top 10 baseball movies of all time, with “Field of Dreams” leading the way and my favorite, “Bull Durham,” ranking third.
It’s definitely worth reading, although it’s a little tough to take any list of the best baseball movies seriously when it doesn’t include “Major League” and does include “Fever Pitch.” (Oh, and also “Fever Pitch” ahead of “The Natural”?!)
I’m not saying “Major League” is the best baseball movie–and it certainly isn’t trying to do anything as lofty as, say, “Field of Dreams” or “The Natural”–but it’s legitimately funny and charming and actually holds up pretty well two decades later.
I’d definitely have “Major League” and “The Sandlot” on my list. And as always “Field of Dreams” is overrated.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)