Apr 15, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
In honor of “42” being in theaters IMDB.com managing editor Keith Simanton ranked his top 10 baseball movies of all time, with “Field of Dreams” leading the way and my favorite, “Bull Durham,” ranking third.
It’s definitely worth reading, although it’s a little tough to take any list of the best baseball movies seriously when it doesn’t include “Major League” and does include “Fever Pitch.” (Oh, and also “Fever Pitch” ahead of “The Natural”?!)
I’m not saying “Major League” is the best baseball movie–and it certainly isn’t trying to do anything as lofty as, say, “Field of Dreams” or “The Natural”–but it’s legitimately funny and charming and actually holds up pretty well two decades later.
I’d definitely have “Major League” and “The Sandlot” on my list. And as always “Field of Dreams” is overrated.
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 0
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 59
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 104
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 75
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)