IMDB names “Field of Dreams” the best baseball movie ever

Apr 15, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

Field of Dreams poster

In honor of “42” being in theaters IMDB.com managing editor Keith Simanton ranked his top 10 baseball movies of all time, with “Field of Dreams” leading the way and my favorite, “Bull Durham,” ranking third.

It’s definitely worth reading, although it’s a little tough to take any list of the best baseball movies seriously when it doesn’t include “Major League” and does include “Fever Pitch.” (Oh, and also “Fever Pitch” ahead of “The Natural”?!)

I’m not saying “Major League” is the best baseball movie–and it certainly isn’t trying to do anything as lofty as, say, “Field of Dreams” or “The Natural”–but it’s legitimately funny and charming and actually holds up pretty well two decades later.

I’d definitely have “Major League” and “The Sandlot” on my list. And as always “Field of Dreams” is overrated.

IMDB’s top 10 baseball movies of all time

102 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. daveversusshark - Apr 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM

…no Sandlot? No Major League? And not to mention Fever Pitch’s original story actually centers on soccer. Worst list ever.

• bfunk1978 - Apr 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM

And no Eight Men Out, which I really liked. And it includes Ken Burns’ Baseball, which isn’t horrible but not worthy of being above anything you listed.

• sdelmonte - Apr 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I love Eight Men Out, but it’s also a Sayles film with the usual biases. Those on the other side of the labor-management gap might feel otherwise.

2. mreezybreezy - Apr 15, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Rarely, if ever, do I see “Sugar” get any attention. Not my favorite, but would probably make my Top 10

3. jesse1834 - Apr 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Fever pitch??? Overhyping Jimmy Fallon again. What about The Sandlot???? Rookie of the Year was cheesy but still better than Fever Pitch.

4. dlf9 - Apr 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM

No mentions of Bingo Long’s Traveling All Stars and Motor Kings? For shame commenters, for shame.

5. tfbuckfutter - Apr 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM

So….in honor of “42” being in movie theaters he made a list of movies better than “42”?

That’s quite an honor.

I’m not a big fan of ranking and categorizing things….but I’d probably have Long Gone in my top 10.

6. woodenulykteneau - Apr 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Rather sad/ironic that it took 50+ comments for someone to mention “Soul of the Game” HBO movie.

• woodenulykteneau - Apr 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Or 60+ (thanks javascript timeouts)

7. philliesblow - Apr 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I’ve always had a soft spot for “The Perfect Game” about the 1957 Moterrey Mexico Little League team.

8. randygnyc - Apr 15, 2013 at 3:15 PM

#15 “Ballplayer: Pelota”,
    #14 “Fear Strikes Out”,
    #13 “Major League”,
    #12 “The Natural”,
    #11 “The Rookie”,
    #10 “Eight Men Out”,
    #9 “Bang the Drum Slowly”
    #8 “Field of Dreams”
    #7 “Up for Grabs”
    #6 “Pride of the Yankees”
    #5 “Sugar”
    #4 “Bad News Bears”
    #3 “The Life and Times of Hank Greenburg”
    #2 “Moneyball”
    #1 “Bull Durham”

Still no “Angels in the Outfield” with Paul Douglas, Janet Leigh, and Keenan Wynn, nor any mention of “The Grover Cleveland Alexander Story”, which must go by another name, cause I cannot find it at IMDB, but a better list than IMDB.

• deepstblu - Apr 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

The Alexander movie is “The Winning Team.”

• bigleagues - Apr 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM

The Life and Times of Hank Greenburg is an EXCELLENT inclusion on this list. I came to know his daughter a little, Alva, and you would hope and imagine she takes his legacy very seriously and with much respect.

10. kicksave1980 - Apr 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I’ve never been able to decide between “The Natural” and “Major League”. Two of the best movies of all-time, baseball or not.

11. kalinedrive - Apr 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Bull Durham wins any day, and twice after rain-outs. But I will admit to liking For Love of the Game, although I may be unduly influenced by Vin Scully’s poetic musings and the hero pitching for the Tigers against the Yankees.

• historiophiliac - Apr 15, 2013 at 4:42 PM

My buddies keep putting those Chapel v. Verlander memes on FB to drive me crazy.

12. kicksave1980 - Apr 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I’ve never been able to decide between “The Natural” and “Major League”. Two of my personal favorite movies, regardless of genre.

13. kalinedrive - Apr 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM

14. edwardemanuelson - Apr 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Love Moneyball.

Mr. 3000, really?

And what about The Fan?

15. bla bla bla - Apr 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM

“Long Gone” was the best I’ve seen.

16. protectthishouse54 - Apr 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM

“Hey Dad… you want to have a catch?”

Gets me every time.

17. dpeter11 - Apr 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM

the funniest thing in Major League was Roger Dorn’s cell phone.

18. crankyfrankie - Apr 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM

OK for whatever it is worth here is my five.
    Bang the drum slowly.
    The bad news bears. All people who aspire to coach kids should watch that first.
    The natural.
    baseball.
    major league.

19. mnwildfan15 - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM

What about Little Big League??? A great baseball movie.

20. dieterlaser - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Not having The Sandlot on that list is criminal. It’s the perfect representation of growing up and a kid’s love of baseball. And it’s so quotable…

21. crackersnap - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Pfft. Any list that parks Field Of Dreams at the top, and includes Fever Pitch and Ken Burns’ hagiography at all, yet fails to mention Damned Yankees, is a list worth ignoring.

22. runteddyrun - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM

No “Little Big League”?

23. ramblingalb - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Major League and Bull Durham are both so juvenile and cliched, it’s tough for a serious fan like myself to watch either for more a few minutes. Bob Uecker lines aside, Major League is unwatchable.

Field of Dreams is remarkable in that it has crossed the threshold from classic baseball movie to classic movie.

24. hcf95688 - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Field of Dreams? Bull Durham? Both are over-rated chick flicks. In fact, EVERY Costner movie is a chick flick.

• georgiamadman - Apr 16, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Spoken like a true chick.

• dexterismyhero - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Mr. Brooks wasn’t a chick flick.

DeNiro & Moriarity in Bang the Drum Slowly were great.

How about Arliss with Robert Wuhl as one of the funniest sports series on HBO in the 90’s?

25. thebadguyswon - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Moneyball is #1 – easily. A baseball movie with good acting, which is nearly unheard of.

• dexterismyhero - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM

you have to be kidding? are you a girl?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3207)