Apr 15, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Ely, who was acquired from the Dodgers in a trade back in December, began the season at Triple-A after failing to win a rotation spot during spring training. He tossed four shutout innings in his only appearance there before being shut down and will miss the entire season.
Ely led the Pacific Coast League in ERA last season, going 14-7 with a 3.20 ERA and 165 strikeouts in 169 innings, but has a 5.70 ERA in 115 innings as a big leaguer through age 27.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)