Apr 15, 2013, 10:46 PM EST
Some bad news and some good news for the Blue Jays tonight. Mike Wilner of Sportsnet 590 the FAN reports that right-hander Sergio Santos has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a triceps strain while Brett Lawrie will be activated from the disabled list tomorrow.
Santos has been dealing with soreness in his triceps dating back to spring training. It hasn’t impacted his performance much until this point, as he has only allowed one run (a home run) in 4 1/3 innings to go along with a 6/1 K/BB ratio, but the Blue Jays are hopeful that some extended rest will get him back to 100 percent.
Lawrie has been sidelined since early March due to a left rib cage injury, but it only took two rehab games with High-A Dunedin to convince the Blue Jays that he’s ready for activation. Of course, Jose Reyes‘ ankle injury may have accelerated his timetable a little bit.
While Lawrie played second base during his rehab stint, Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos told Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca earlier tonight that the plan calls for him to return as the regular third baseman. Still, he hasn’t ruled out using him once a week at second base if needed. The 23-year-old has never played second base in the majors and wasn’t considered a strong defender there in the minors.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 57
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 22
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 33
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)