Apr 15, 2013, 10:46 PM EDT
Some bad news and some good news for the Blue Jays tonight. Mike Wilner of Sportsnet 590 the FAN reports that right-hander Sergio Santos has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a triceps strain while Brett Lawrie will be activated from the disabled list tomorrow.
Santos has been dealing with soreness in his triceps dating back to spring training. It hasn’t impacted his performance much until this point, as he has only allowed one run (a home run) in 4 1/3 innings to go along with a 6/1 K/BB ratio, but the Blue Jays are hopeful that some extended rest will get him back to 100 percent.
Lawrie has been sidelined since early March due to a left rib cage injury, but it only took two rehab games with High-A Dunedin to convince the Blue Jays that he’s ready for activation. Of course, Jose Reyes‘ ankle injury may have accelerated his timetable a little bit.
While Lawrie played second base during his rehab stint, Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos told Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca earlier tonight that the plan calls for him to return as the regular third baseman. Still, he hasn’t ruled out using him once a week at second base if needed. The 23-year-old has never played second base in the majors and wasn’t considered a strong defender there in the minors.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)