Apr 15, 2013, 10:46 PM EDT
Some bad news and some good news for the Blue Jays tonight. Mike Wilner of Sportsnet 590 the FAN reports that right-hander Sergio Santos has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a triceps strain while Brett Lawrie will be activated from the disabled list tomorrow.
Santos has been dealing with soreness in his triceps dating back to spring training. It hasn’t impacted his performance much until this point, as he has only allowed one run (a home run) in 4 1/3 innings to go along with a 6/1 K/BB ratio, but the Blue Jays are hopeful that some extended rest will get him back to 100 percent.
Lawrie has been sidelined since early March due to a left rib cage injury, but it only took two rehab games with High-A Dunedin to convince the Blue Jays that he’s ready for activation. Of course, Jose Reyes‘ ankle injury may have accelerated his timetable a little bit.
While Lawrie played second base during his rehab stint, Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos told Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca earlier tonight that the plan calls for him to return as the regular third baseman. Still, he hasn’t ruled out using him once a week at second base if needed. The 23-year-old has never played second base in the majors and wasn’t considered a strong defender there in the minors.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)