The Dodgers urge that their fans be calm as the Padres come to town

Apr 15, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

A few short days after Carlos Quentin broke one of their starting pitchers, the Dodgers are urging that their fans be cool tonight as the Padres come to Dodger Stadium:

Given that Quentin has dropped his appeal and won’t be on the premises for the game — and the fact that the Dodgers are celebrating Jackie Robinson tonight — hopefully prevents this from becoming a disaster. And as Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times notes, there will likely be pregame warnings to both teams, meaning that people are getting ejected if there’s one beaning.

1. chill1184 - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Over/Under on how many fan incidents tonight? I would like to say three

• lewp - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I’ll take the over. Sadoly.

• lewp - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

“Sadly”.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I like the way they invoked Jackie Kennedy. Was she a friend of Magic’s too?

• andrebeingandre16 - Apr 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I rarely ever see Padre fans at Dodger Stadium so Id say under. I just expect loud boos for the padres but nothing too crazy

2. chacochicken - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Remember kids, you go out to the ballpark to have fun. It is, after all things, a game.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM

And as Tony Soprano would say; ” It’s just business. ”

I mean you could always hope, but i’m not sure I would be wearing my Padres jersey, if I owned one, to the game.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Sounds like Tony Soprano was watching Prizzi’s Honor.

3. saints97 - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Things could get raucous in the 3rd inning when Dodger fans start filing into the ballpark.

• andrewproughcfe - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Or in the 5th inning, when they start to leave…

4. jerseybando - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Never in Dodger Stadium? Probably one of the scariest in MLB.

5. indaburg - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Hopefully, the Dodgers organization has the foresight to have extra security and a strong police presence for this series as a deterrent. No rational person wants a tragedy to happen over a game.

• Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Relax. That’s not McCourt running the budget anymore.

6. melkipershero - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM

If im a Padres fan im staying away from this series

• kpow55 - Apr 15, 2013 at 4:39 PM

If you’re a Padre’s find, i’d find the other 6 of you and watch from a bar or couch.

7. Marty - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM

They should urge their pitchers as well.

I’d avoid this one if I were a Padres fan.

8. greysolon - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

“Honor Jackie’s legacy”? Mexican fans don’t know or care about Jackie Robinson.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I’ve noticed you got this shtick about having a chip on your shoulder. Nice to see I can add asshole and potential racist to those things you do.

Stay classy. Get it? It’s from the tweet that sent you into a tizzy.

• greysolon - Apr 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM

A shtick about having a chip on my shoulder? That’s incoherent. And you calling me an ass is just you being mad about your guy Greinke being out.

And “potential racist”? What’s that?

I’ve been to dozens of Dodger games. Lived in LA for years. The simple truth is that the majority of Mexican fans have almost no idea who Jackie Robinson is.

Using your make-believe kryponite of “Raciss!” doesn’t faze me one bit.

• badintent - Apr 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM

never mind koufaxmitzvah, the rabbi cut too deep on the foreskin and cut his head off.The big head.

9. Old Gator - Apr 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I’d also like to take this opportunity to remind the North Koreans to calm down and that they will accomplish nothing by threatening Padres fans. I would further remind them that the Padres’ record is now as bad as the Feesh’s record. Why don’t they go pick on Grand Fenwick for a change?

• Gamera the Brave - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Gator, funny you should mention “The Mouse that Roared”. I was having a chat with my oldest boy on Sunday, and was trying to explain the plot/idea of the book, and I had the irritating experience of trying to explain a book I read 25 years ago, and don’t quite remember it well enough to hit the plot points right… Grrrrr…

On the other hand, the amazingly blank look on my son’s face was pretty funny…

• badintent - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I’d like to throw high and inside on Kim at bat.

10. mrfloydpink - Apr 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I dunno–wouldn’t a situation where pitchers are throwing at the head of a player with 42 on his jersey actually be pretty historically accurate?

11. MyTeamsAllStink - Apr 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I would hope after today’s tragedy in Boston both dodger and padre fans realize there’s more important things in life than baseball and behave.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3447)