Apr 15, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Wilkin Ramirez is away from the team on paternity leave and to fill his roster spot the Twins have called up outfield prospect Oswaldo Arcia for his big-league debut.
As discussed on my Twins-centric podcast last night it’s a little odd, because Ramirez will be back after one or two games and the assumption is that Arcia will then return to Triple-A. So why call up a 21-year-old top prospect for his first taste of the majors if it’s only going to last 48 hours? I suppose “why not” is an acceptable answer.
Either way, Arcia is starting in left field and batting sixth tonight against the Angels after hitting .414 with three homers in nine games at Triple-A, so it’ll give Twins fans a reason to watch. Prior to the season he ranked 41st on Baseball America‘s list of top prospects and I rated him as the third-best prospect in the Twins’ stacked farm system.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 32
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 42
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 139
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (141)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (140)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)