Apr 15, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Wilkin Ramirez is away from the team on paternity leave and to fill his roster spot the Twins have called up outfield prospect Oswaldo Arcia for his big-league debut.
As discussed on my Twins-centric podcast last night it’s a little odd, because Ramirez will be back after one or two games and the assumption is that Arcia will then return to Triple-A. So why call up a 21-year-old top prospect for his first taste of the majors if it’s only going to last 48 hours? I suppose “why not” is an acceptable answer.
Either way, Arcia is starting in left field and batting sixth tonight against the Angels after hitting .414 with three homers in nine games at Triple-A, so it’ll give Twins fans a reason to watch. Prior to the season he ranked 41st on Baseball America‘s list of top prospects and I rated him as the third-best prospect in the Twins’ stacked farm system.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)