Apr 15, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Wilkin Ramirez is away from the team on paternity leave and to fill his roster spot the Twins have called up outfield prospect Oswaldo Arcia for his big-league debut.
As discussed on my Twins-centric podcast last night it’s a little odd, because Ramirez will be back after one or two games and the assumption is that Arcia will then return to Triple-A. So why call up a 21-year-old top prospect for his first taste of the majors if it’s only going to last 48 hours? I suppose “why not” is an acceptable answer.
Either way, Arcia is starting in left field and batting sixth tonight against the Angels after hitting .414 with three homers in nine games at Triple-A, so it’ll give Twins fans a reason to watch. Prior to the season he ranked 41st on Baseball America‘s list of top prospects and I rated him as the third-best prospect in the Twins’ stacked farm system.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 30
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 36
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)