Astros reliever apologizes to the umps

Apr 16, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT

Houston Astros v Oakland Athletics Getty Images

You don’t see this very often. Last night Astros reliever Paul Clemens thought a 2-2 pitch was a strikeout. Home plate umpire Paul Emmel thought differently and called it a ball. Clemens was visibly upset and jawed some stuff Emmel’s way.  After the game, however, he apologized:

“Let me take a second to apologize to him and his whole crew. I apologize,” Clemens said. “It was just my competitive nature. … I took the Lord’s name in vain and I apologized.”

If that’s the standard, Greg Maddux is going to spend eternity in a very bad place for all of those F-bombs he used to launch.

Nice on Clemens, though.

1. historiophiliac - Apr 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Yes, it’s always better to ask forgiveness later than permission before.

• polonelmeagrejr - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM

heard that on a tv show the other day.

• historiophiliac - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM

It’s an old saw.

• manchestermiracle - Apr 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Tell that to Yovani Gallardo .

2. stex52 - Apr 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Also a smart move for a guy who wants to break into the majors and doesn’t want umpires on his case.

But that’s just me being cynical.

• stex52 - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM

In earnest of fairness, it is worthwhile of me to note the kid pitched very well. I hope he continues and is a step toward stabilizing that bullpen.

• jeffa43 - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I think he also said…. 5 1/3 … 1 hit, I am here to start, and win games. Not here for long mop up.
        He obviously said that with his arm.

Dislocating finger and having it popped back, and wanting to stay in.
        Awesome display. Look fwd to seeing his next outing.

3. mississippimusicman - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I’m surprised this is the only thing you have to say about Paul Clemens today, Craig. What about him dislocating his pinkie trying to bare-hand a comebacker, having the trainer pop it back into place, and keeping pitching? “Competitive” just isn’t a big enough word for this kid.

• illegalblues - Apr 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM

i didn’t see that, but that is badass

4. APBA Guy - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Yeah, he really shut the A’s down last night during his stint. He and his infielders misplayed a popup, allowing it to drop. After that, he was definitely in charge, screaming out orders.

• elpendejo59 - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Sure looked like he was laying into Carlos Pena after the play didn’t it? I was really surprised to see a rookie jawing off at a pretty respected veteran like that. I wonder what was said in the dugout after the inning, because did you notice, in the very next inning, a similar pop up was hit to the 3rd base side and he was yelling and directing traffic the whole time before Dominguez made the play? I always wonder about those kinds of thing. You don;t usually see the “Veteran Leadership” type scenarios play out on the field right in front of you like that. I just thought it was pretty interesting how engaged he was on every single infield fly after that.

5. beefytrout - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM

This story is a lot funnier if you picture this guy as the football player in Mr. Deeds…

“You mean to tell me he used the Lord’s name in vain in front of an umpire?”

“He’s a good kid sir, he just needs to watch his language.”

“…I’ll remind him where he comes from…” (hangs up, removes belt)

“NO DADDY NO!!!!”

6. mrdry14 - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM

It was probably roid rage……….he’s a Clemens isn’t he?

7. martywinn - Apr 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM

The name Clemens makes me not want to like this guy, but he overcomes that. Here, for once, is someone who seems truly sorry/repentant for what he did. He seems to not only be apologizing to the umps but to God. So often apologies are more along the lines of “I’m sorry I got caught and I’ll say these words if it lessens the consequences” This seems different to me. Good job Paul. I’m rooting for you.

Also Greg Maddux is my favorite player ever but it takes but one F-bomb to spend eternity in hell. Yes that is the standard for using the Lord’s name in vain. There is, mercifully, a provided remedy for that though.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3997)