Apr 16, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Darwin Barney is back from the disabled list after missing the first two weeks with a lacerated knee, starting at second base and batting seventh for the Cubs tonight against the Rangers.
Barney suffered the injury during the final spring training game, so the Cubs turned to Alberto Gonzalez and Brent Lillibridge in a time-share at second base. They combined to hit .194 in Barney’s absence.
Lillibridge won’t stick around in a bench role, because as part of several moves today the Cubs designated him for assignment and claimed Cody Ransom off waivers.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 14
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)