Cubs may give Carlos Marmol another crack at closing

Apr 16, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT

Carlos Marmol AP

It sounds like Cubs manager Dale Sveum is just about ready to give Carlos Marmol another chance in the closer role just a week after stripping him of ninth-inning duties.

“I would be lying to you if he wasn’t working his way back into it,” Sveum told Fred Mitchell of the Chicago Tribune. “He is throwing strikes and he is throwing his slider more and he’s more consistent. So, yeah, he’s working his way back. That was part of the deal.”

It also helps Marmol’s cause that potential replacement closer Kyuji Fujikawa is now on the disabled list and Shawn Camp blew a save Sunday. In the meantime Marmol has thrown four scoreless innings since the demotion, although with three strikeouts compared to two walks he hasn’t exactly been dominant.

And for whatever it’s worth Jeff Samardzija voiced his support for turning back to Marmol, saying: “We have a closer. Marmol’s our guy.”

1. Stiller43 - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Sorry, Cubs fans…

2. stex52 - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Oh my gosh. Close your eyes. Get the women and children out. Marmol may be back. Echoing Stiller, sorry, Cubs fans……..

3. professormaddog31 - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Dale Sveum must be sick of being a manager, he’s doing everything he can to be fired soon.

4. Jonny 5 - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM

It sounds like Marmolgeddon!

• stex52 - Apr 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I wasn’t sure if that word was copyrighted by our group. But you said it.

5. nderdog - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM

As a Pirates fan, I fully support this decision, because frankly we need all of the help that we can get!

6. larryboodry - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Is it 2014 yet?

7. sleepyirv - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I accepted the Cubs were going to be bad this year. I have not accepted that they would lose every game in the late innings, blowouts at least mean I can turn off the game quicker.

8. sabatimus - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I’m not kidding: I initially read that headline as “Cubs may give Carlos Marmol another crack at losing”.

9. 13arod - Apr 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM

you guys know that carlos is pitchin better now

• melkipershero - Apr 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM

thats not saying a whole lot

10. onbucky96 - Apr 16, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Oh please…Sincerely, the rest of the NL Comedy Central. Dude makes John Axford seem reliable, which is saying a lot.

11. mophatici - Apr 16, 2013 at 6:12 PM

It gets worse. Kevin Gregg is a member of the cubs again. rumor had it that he’s been promoted. we should drug test Theo and co. they must have slipped something into their coffee to make these decisions.

12. jbeck25 - Apr 17, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I know they’re alot of cubs fans who dont like marmol but he has the stuff to be a dominant closer; fujikawa is not the answer he played good in the Chinese Baseball league but he’s not an MLB closer.

All the trade deadline news to know