Apr 16, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported a little less than two weeks ago that “Yankees people” were targeting May 1 as a potential return date for injured shortstop Derek Jeter. But that’s not happening anymore.
According to MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, Jeter is “not close to game action” and the Yankees are easing off any sort of projections for his return. “He’ll be back when he’s back,” manager Joe Girardi told reporters on Tuesday evening.
Jeter is taking daily rounds of batting practice and fielding ground balls at the Yankees’ spring training complex in Tampa, Florida, but his surgically-repaired left ankle is simply not where it needs to be.
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 0
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 11
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 96
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (96)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)