Apr 16, 2013, 3:49 PM EST
Aaron Hill got hit on the left hand by a pitch on April 9, but X-rays came back negative and he made a pair of pinch-hitting appearances on April 13 and April 14. He even delivered an RBI double in one of them.
But apparently he was doing that with a broken hand, which finally got him placed him on the disabled list today as the Diamondbacks called up shortstop prospect Didi Gregorius to replace him on the roster.
Gregorius was acquired from the Reds as part of the three-team trade that sent Trevor Bauer to the Indians. He was off to a fast start at Triple-A, hitting .387 in seven games after missing much of spring training with an elbow injury of his own.
Kirk Gibson told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that Hill is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)