Apr 16, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
Aaron Hill got hit on the left hand by a pitch on April 9, but X-rays came back negative and he made a pair of pinch-hitting appearances on April 13 and April 14. He even delivered an RBI double in one of them.
But apparently he was doing that with a broken hand, which finally got him placed him on the disabled list today as the Diamondbacks called up shortstop prospect Didi Gregorius to replace him on the roster.
Gregorius was acquired from the Reds as part of the three-team trade that sent Trevor Bauer to the Indians. He was off to a fast start at Triple-A, hitting .387 in seven games after missing much of spring training with an elbow injury of his own.
Kirk Gibson told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that Hill is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 33
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)