Apr 16, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
Aaron Hill got hit on the left hand by a pitch on April 9, but X-rays came back negative and he made a pair of pinch-hitting appearances on April 13 and April 14. He even delivered an RBI double in one of them.
But apparently he was doing that with a broken hand, which finally got him placed him on the disabled list today as the Diamondbacks called up shortstop prospect Didi Gregorius to replace him on the roster.
Gregorius was acquired from the Reds as part of the three-team trade that sent Trevor Bauer to the Indians. He was off to a fast start at Triple-A, hitting .387 in seven games after missing much of spring training with an elbow injury of his own.
Kirk Gibson told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that Hill is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)