Apr 16, 2013, 8:53 AM EST
To the extent we think about relatively minor transactions, we never think about the limbo period. We hear about a guy getting DFA’d and then we next hear when he signs a minor league deal someplace, but we never think of the in between. What he goes through. What his family goes through. The logistics of getting your stuff from one locker room, making or canceling living arrangements and then waiting to find a new job.
Today Daniel Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal has a great story in which he followed David Aardsma from the final exhibition game of the spring — after which Aardsma was cut by the New York Yankees — through his two-weeks of waiting and worrying about where his next job would be. Among the many things Aardsma and players in his position do: pretend to be general managers:
Aardsma stayed up on player movement around baseball, noting which other teams cut players, or needed bullpen help. He would talk himself into thinking that this trade could happen, or that one.
“As a player, you start thinking that way, and then you starting thinking that’s a deal they’re going to do—you start playing that GM game,” he said.
“And it never works out. Never. And then someone else picks up the guy you were thinking about, and you get pissed.”
Great story. Part of the game we rarely consider.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 129
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 244
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (252)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)