Apr 16, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
To the extent we think about relatively minor transactions, we never think about the limbo period. We hear about a guy getting DFA’d and then we next hear when he signs a minor league deal someplace, but we never think of the in between. What he goes through. What his family goes through. The logistics of getting your stuff from one locker room, making or canceling living arrangements and then waiting to find a new job.
Today Daniel Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal has a great story in which he followed David Aardsma from the final exhibition game of the spring — after which Aardsma was cut by the New York Yankees — through his two-weeks of waiting and worrying about where his next job would be. Among the many things Aardsma and players in his position do: pretend to be general managers:
Aardsma stayed up on player movement around baseball, noting which other teams cut players, or needed bullpen help. He would talk himself into thinking that this trade could happen, or that one.
“As a player, you start thinking that way, and then you starting thinking that’s a deal they’re going to do—you start playing that GM game,” he said.
“And it never works out. Never. And then someone else picks up the guy you were thinking about, and you get pissed.”
Great story. Part of the game we rarely consider.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 31
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 38
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)