Apr 16, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
From Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com comes word that the Giants have placed left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt on the 15-day disabled list with an oblique strain. Jean Machi, a right-hander, has been recalled from Triple-A Fresno in a corresponding move.
Affeldt began complaining of soreness in his side during Monday’s scheduled team off day and underwent an MRI on Tuesday that revealed the oblique strain. He will likely be sidelined for three weeks.
Affeldt has allowed three earned runs through his first 4 2/3 innings of work this season. The 33-year-old southpaw signed a three-year, $18 million contract with the Giants in mid-November.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)