Apr 16, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
From Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com comes word that the Giants have placed left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt on the 15-day disabled list with an oblique strain. Jean Machi, a right-hander, has been recalled from Triple-A Fresno in a corresponding move.
Affeldt began complaining of soreness in his side during Monday’s scheduled team off day and underwent an MRI on Tuesday that revealed the oblique strain. He will likely be sidelined for three weeks.
Affeldt has allowed three earned runs through his first 4 2/3 innings of work this season. The 33-year-old southpaw signed a three-year, $18 million contract with the Giants in mid-November.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)