Apr 16, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
From Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com comes word that the Giants have placed left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt on the 15-day disabled list with an oblique strain. Jean Machi, a right-hander, has been recalled from Triple-A Fresno in a corresponding move.
Affeldt began complaining of soreness in his side during Monday’s scheduled team off day and underwent an MRI on Tuesday that revealed the oblique strain. He will likely be sidelined for three weeks.
Affeldt has allowed three earned runs through his first 4 2/3 innings of work this season. The 33-year-old southpaw signed a three-year, $18 million contract with the Giants in mid-November.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 5
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)