Apr 16, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
From Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com comes word that the Giants have placed left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt on the 15-day disabled list with an oblique strain. Jean Machi, a right-hander, has been recalled from Triple-A Fresno in a corresponding move.
Affeldt began complaining of soreness in his side during Monday’s scheduled team off day and underwent an MRI on Tuesday that revealed the oblique strain. He will likely be sidelined for three weeks.
Affeldt has allowed three earned runs through his first 4 2/3 innings of work this season. The 33-year-old southpaw signed a three-year, $18 million contract with the Giants in mid-November.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)