Apr 16, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
From Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com comes word that the Giants have placed left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt on the 15-day disabled list with an oblique strain. Jean Machi, a right-hander, has been recalled from Triple-A Fresno in a corresponding move.
Affeldt began complaining of soreness in his side during Monday’s scheduled team off day and underwent an MRI on Tuesday that revealed the oblique strain. He will likely be sidelined for three weeks.
Affeldt has allowed three earned runs through his first 4 2/3 innings of work this season. The 33-year-old southpaw signed a three-year, $18 million contract with the Giants in mid-November.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 105
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 71
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 52
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (106)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)