Apr 16, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Jose Valverde‘s trek back to the majors involved throwing two innings in an extended spring training scrimmage against the Canadian junior national team yesterday.
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the 35-year-old former closer held a bunch of 16-, 17-, and 18-year-olds hitless while getting four of the six outs via strikeout.
After failing to find guaranteed big-league work all offseason Valverde signed a minor-league deal with the Tigers two weeks ago. He has a May 5 opt-out clause, so the Tigers are expected to send him to Triple-A at some point to more accurately evaluate his ability to pitch against hitters who’re, say, legally allowed to drink.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 28
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)