Apr 16, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Jose Valverde‘s trek back to the majors involved throwing two innings in an extended spring training scrimmage against the Canadian junior national team yesterday.
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the 35-year-old former closer held a bunch of 16-, 17-, and 18-year-olds hitless while getting four of the six outs via strikeout.
After failing to find guaranteed big-league work all offseason Valverde signed a minor-league deal with the Tigers two weeks ago. He has a May 5 opt-out clause, so the Tigers are expected to send him to Triple-A at some point to more accurately evaluate his ability to pitch against hitters who’re, say, legally allowed to drink.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 16
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 19
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)