Apr 16, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
Bourn injured his finger sliding into second base Sunday when White Sox reliever Matt Thornton stepped on his hand. He initially hoped to be back in a week or so despite needing five stitches, but the Indians decided to play it safe and get some extra roster help.
Bourn was off to a good start after joining Cleveland on a four-year, $48 million deal this offseason, hitting .333 with two homers and a .975 OPS through 10 games. In his absence the Indians figure to use Drew Stubbs in center field.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)