Apr 16, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
That means Andrew Bailey should get a two-week look in the closer role, which began yesterday with him blowing a one-run lead against the Rays and ending up with the win when the Red Sox scored in the bottom of the ninth.
Career minor leaguer Steven Wright–not to be confused with the stand-up comedian–is coming up from Triple-A to take Hanrahan’s spot on the roster and in the bullpen. Wright is 28 years old with seven seasons and 710 innings of experience in the minors, but the right-hander doesn’t figure to have a role much bigger than middle relief.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)