Apr 16, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
That means Andrew Bailey should get a two-week look in the closer role, which began yesterday with him blowing a one-run lead against the Rays and ending up with the win when the Red Sox scored in the bottom of the ninth.
Career minor leaguer Steven Wright–not to be confused with the stand-up comedian–is coming up from Triple-A to take Hanrahan’s spot on the roster and in the bullpen. Wright is 28 years old with seven seasons and 710 innings of experience in the minors, but the right-hander doesn’t figure to have a role much bigger than middle relief.
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 5
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 3
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 4
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)