The Rockies — including their owner and mascot –are digging Coors Field out today

Apr 16, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT

The Rockies and Mets were snowed out yesterday. Coors Field was still covered with snow as dawn broke. But as this Vine video from Marc Carig of Newsday shows, the Rockies staff is definitely going to work to make sure baseball is played today.

More from Marc:

Even team owner Dick Monfort — um, or is it Charlie? Not sure which is which — is getting into the act:

Looks like no By-Tor and the Snow Dog today.

1. Francisco (FC) - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I wonder how much money it would cost to graft a roof on that thing.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Ask the good people in Minnesota. I think they have a dusty pile of quotes in a drawer somewhere.

• cur68 - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I wonder how much the difference is between a good snowblower is in comparison to a roof? Seriously, don’t they have snow blowers in Colorado?

• historiophiliac - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Not gritty.

2. maximusprime107 - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Francisco-
    We really don’t have as many snow/rain outs as you’d think

• Alex K - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I’ve been to Coors the last two years and it rained both times. Those were the only two days of either trip that it rained. I’m not sure what it means, but it sure does stink.

• Alex K - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM

And actually it wasn’t raining before or after the game in either case. Just during the game…while I was sitting in left field with no cover.

• dowhatifeellike - Apr 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM

The fact that you were here twice and it rained both times is kind of impressive. Sometimes we’ll go a month or more without any measurable precip.

• Alex K - Apr 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I know. My wife is from SW Colorado and has family in Ft Collins so I have spent some time there. It really only rains when I have tickets to the Rockies.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM

No, but it happens often enough to be a major annoyance. Especially for teams that only make one trip there and have difficulties in rescheduling. Or in the post-season when you have really bad conditions for playing baseball with almost freezing temperatures in October. It’s not necessarily just the rain/snow.

• kevinbnyc - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Realistically, not too much threat of the Rockies or Twins playing in the post-season anytime too soon.

• mondogarage - Apr 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Actually, it doesn’t. There have been less than 10 games lost to snow in the 20 year history of the franchise. As for cold, don’t hold Colorado to a different standard than Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago, Boston, or even NYC in April, that’s just ignorant. Frankly, it was 70 degrees and sunny at Coors for the home opener about 10 days ago, and beautiful for the entire series.

As for the “one trip” teams, direct your complaints to Uncle Bud for his all interleague all the time scheduling scheme.

But do tell us how the weather is always splendid for all those American League East home games throughout April.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I’ll concede the point that weather is probably not statistically more onerous than other similar locations, it just probably seems that way since I also saw how weather badly affected the post-seasons in 2009.

The big deal is re-scheduling. Midwest and eastern teams seem to have an easier time to travel during the summer and make up games. Denver is geographically difficult to get to and far away from nearly every other team.

I think you’re off with your inter league comment, that isn’t the source of the scheduling issue. This is Rockies – Mets series, last I checked both Colorado and NYM were in the same League. Teams not of the same division sometimes don’t face each other more than once in a single location. Perhaps its best to schedule non-divisional games more towards the summer.

Interlague does have an affect that some teams will have play to interleague in April regardless, so the best bet is to make them geographically close and cross your fingers you don’t need to schedule a make up game.

• bigleagues - Apr 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Speaking for New York & Boston, I’m pretty certain that the number of games lost to SNOW in the past 20 years is pretty close to ZERO.

3. ireportyoudecide - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Nice work Dinger.

4. sdelmonte - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM

The Mets must feel like the baseball gods have found a new way to hate them.

Or that the hockey gods are taking over. (The Islanders, long the Mets of NY hockey, are about to make the playoffs, so who knows?)

5. Gobias Industries - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Mr. Monfort to the Communication and Public Relations Department: “Hey, can you get a shot of me from the Coors Field groundbreaking ceremony, photoshop it onto a picture of the snowy field, and throw it up on Twitter? Thanks.”

• yahmule - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I sent this link to my friend the die hard Rockies fan. I want to see if I can make his head explode like the guy in Scanners.

6. yahmule - Apr 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Wow, look at that rich guy shoveling snow! That’s just incredible and not at all like Paul Ryan pretending to scrub a pot at some soup kitchen. The saddest thing about the Monforts is they’re so insulated with yes men, they actually believe their own bullshit.

• mondogarage - Apr 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Mid market owner ain’t that rich

/rimshot

7. pinkfloydprism - Apr 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I am traveling to Denver from Phoenix tonight, and bought tickets for tomorrow’s game… I am going to freeze.

• yahmule - Apr 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM

You’re going to be snowed out, I’m afraid. I wanted to head out there on Thursday to see Matt Harvey, but I’ll probably wait until the weather improves a bit.

• pinkfloydprism - Apr 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Yeah I think we are. Which stinks because I will not be able to make the makeup game. Oh well… I bought these tickets 2 weeks ago… damn snow.

8. jlovenotjlo - Apr 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM

still ski season up here in high country

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3460)