Apr 17, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
In August 2011, Alex Rodriguez was called on the carpet by Major League Baseball for allegedly being involved in “an underground, illegal poker game where cocaine was openly used,” to quote the tabloid reports at the time. He met with the league and nothing happened apart from him promising not to hang out at underground, illegal poker games where cocaine is openly used anymore. Which seems sorta reasonable.
Here’s hoping he kept his promise, because that underground, illegal poker ring got busted yesterday, according to the Daily News. And this one has Russian gangsters in it!
An ultraexclusive, high-stakes, illegal poker ring run by Russian gangsters for Wall Street multimillionaires and celebrities like Alex Rodriguez folded on Tuesday, authorities said.
Federal agents arrested about 30 people and brought charges against 34 in total, including underground poker den operators previously linked to the Yankees slugger and other A-listers.
Look, A-Rod said he quit doing that back in 2011, so to sully his name here is just unfair. It’s in the past! What next? Are people gonna say he never quit taking PEDs before 2009 when he said he did? Are we no longer to take him at his word?
Hmm. Um, wait. Let’s just forget I said that.
(hat tip to The Big Lead)
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 34
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (88)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)