Apr 17, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
In August 2011, Alex Rodriguez was called on the carpet by Major League Baseball for allegedly being involved in “an underground, illegal poker game where cocaine was openly used,” to quote the tabloid reports at the time. He met with the league and nothing happened apart from him promising not to hang out at underground, illegal poker games where cocaine is openly used anymore. Which seems sorta reasonable.
Here’s hoping he kept his promise, because that underground, illegal poker ring got busted yesterday, according to the Daily News. And this one has Russian gangsters in it!
An ultraexclusive, high-stakes, illegal poker ring run by Russian gangsters for Wall Street multimillionaires and celebrities like Alex Rodriguez folded on Tuesday, authorities said.
Federal agents arrested about 30 people and brought charges against 34 in total, including underground poker den operators previously linked to the Yankees slugger and other A-listers.
Look, A-Rod said he quit doing that back in 2011, so to sully his name here is just unfair. It’s in the past! What next? Are people gonna say he never quit taking PEDs before 2009 when he said he did? Are we no longer to take him at his word?
Hmm. Um, wait. Let’s just forget I said that.
(hat tip to The Big Lead)
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)