MLB didn’t like Carl Crawford’s mismatched Jackie Robinson commemorative cleats

Apr 17, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

San Diego Padres v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

Carl Crawford wore mismatched Jackie Robinson commemorative Nike/Jordan cleats–one blue and one white–in tribute Monday night, and apparently MLB didn’t approve.

Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles reports that Crawford’s agent got a call from MLB “instructing him not to wear either the blue or white special edition Nike Jordan PEs in a game again.” And according to Saxon there may also be a fine coming.

To which Crawford said: “I was like, ‘OK, he had a little fun with it, so let me have fun with it.’ The league doesn’t want us to have any fun, I guess.”

1. Ben - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM

That was 30 seconds MLB could have spent trying to fix the As stadium situation. But whatever, more important stuff like this to be dealt with.

2. Kleinz 57 - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Really glad MLB is cracking down on this. No telling how many lives Crawford recklessly endangered with those cleats.

3. kevinleaptrot - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM

When did Major Frank Burns of the 4077th MASH become the NFL AND MLB Commissioner?

• historiophiliac - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM

If only this would lead to hijinks when we lock them in the latrine and drink home brew from Hotlips Harper’s boot.

• Joe - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Hotlips Houlihan.

• cur68 - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Hotlips Harper

• historiophiliac - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Would that have worked bettter/been more obvious if I had said “cleat” instead of “boot”?

4. jcmeyer10 - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM

My fashion sense was highly offended and we all know, that has EVERYTHING to do with playing baseball! /s

5. heyblueyoustink - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM

MLB= More Like Bud

6. shawndc04 - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Two questions (one rhetorical);

1) How are the mismatched shoes a tribute?

2) Why in the world does MLB care?

• historiophiliac - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

We will not tolerate this shoe integration!

• atribecalledquestec - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I’m sure MLB has their dress code rules, which they can alter as they see fit, like when they have everyone wear #42 for a day. It’s ironic that he would get fined for not conforming on Jackie Robinson Day, a day commemorating a player who was the very epitome of not conforming!

And he has another pair of cleats just like those, too.

• goodguyattorney - Apr 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Actually, his other pair of cleats is not just like those. It’s the mirror image of those.

7. Brian Donohue - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Conform or die! Be like everyone else…or else! But until this season it wouldn’t have been a problem — he wasn’t, you know, getting on base much until now. It’s all Scully’s fault: he noticed it, speculated about the reasons why, and got the cameras to deliver closeups.

8. mvp43 - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Good move MLB…..

You want to honor Jackie Robinson by making every player wear 42, but when it comes to 1 player wearing mismatched cleats, I guess that tipped you over the edge.

9. aceshigh11 - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Uh, what exactly is the problem?

The mismatched colors?

• manchestermiracle - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:54 AM

The shoes matched the team’s colors to a T. Good thing he wasn’t wearing a blue sweatband on one wrist and a white one on the other.

10. Cris E - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Wait, didn’t MLB get their Mismatched Shoe check from Nike? Hang on, I’ll have someone look into this…

• hittfamily - Apr 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I suspect the same person who took Longo’s hat took Carl’s other right and left shoe.

11. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I have a dress code at work. If I choose to go against it management punishes accordingly. I’m not sure what rule he broke and also find it to be silly but they gotta do what they gotta do. This isn’t anything groundbreaking by MLB this stuff happens everywhere.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Do you get fined for wearing a fish tie?

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

As I said, I would get punished accordingly. Nothing terrible but I would be let known I am breaking established and agreed upon rules. There would be no fines. And if there’s some joke about fish ties I’m missing, well I missed it.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Just that fish ties kick ass.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Ahhhh, yes fish ties do kick major ass.

• anxovies - Apr 17, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Wow. I used to have a fish tie and I forgot how much I liked it. I’m going to the mall to see if I can find a fish tie. Thanks.

12. randygnyc - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM

MLB should spend more time on serious issues like player footwear rather than such ancillary, unimportant things like drunk driving arrests.

13. mybrunoblog - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM

What the entire league wearing 42 wasn’t enough for Carwford. Wow he must really care more than anyone else.
    Certainly this wasn’t a Nike corporate ruse to get their cleats into the media cycle and posted on the net. I thought he looked kind of silly. Instead of wearing silly shoes from Nike take the money used to make those cleats and donate it to the Jackie Robinson foundation.

14. dwrek5 - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM

So, its not just the mismatch that is the problem? What else is the issue if he cant where them when they match either?

• mogogo1 - Apr 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I don’t get that part either. (Unless what they meant to say is they didn’t want him wearing the other mismatched set.) Even if they didn’t like the blue, surely the white pair would be conformist enough for them.

• anxovies - Apr 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Perhaps the blue was to remind us that no Smurf has ever played a single inning in a MLB game.

15. southpaw2k - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

MLB isn’t the only league who plays uniform police from time to time. When Johnny Unitas died in 2002, then-Ravens quarterback Chris Redman wanted to wear black cleats in honor of Johnny U, even though NFL uniform policy clearly stated the cleats had to be white. They warned Redman he would be fined by the league if he wore black cleats on the Sunday following Johnny U’s death, but he went ahead with it anyway.

Still, it seems really stupid for MLB to get in a fuss over uniform policy when they altered all players’ jerseys to wear 42 in honor of Jackie Robinson.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Peyton Manning wanted to do the same thing at the time. Cant remember if he went through with it and just paid the fine or if he conformed to policy.

16. losanginsight - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Thanks for the damaged goods Boston.

17. cowboyzshininstar - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM

There goes the MLB again, slapping down more unlogical fines.

18. triaxfusion - Apr 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM

#1 He looked silly
    #2 I saw it and immediately saw it as self promotion. Trying to get his attention on JR day.

Good move by MLB.

• abaird2012 - Apr 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Funny, I saw it as absent-mindedness. I do that all the time.

19. 13arod - Apr 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM

can’t wait untill bud leaves

20. kevinleaptrot - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM

So glad that MLB could get the Giants/As territorial issue and the Nats/Orioles TV rights issue sorted out so they can spend more time on important stuff like this.

21. JustMeMike - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM

If the rules are the rules – then how come there was no fuss ot much ado about Ichiro. In last night’s (04-16) Yankee-D’Backs game – they didn’t play on Monday, so the had their Jackie Robinson tribute game on Tuesday

Ichiro clearly wore one black shoe and one white shoe.

Just askin’

22. notoriousbri - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM

so he cant wear those again but can he wear the other pair? blue left and white right? I mean.. they are a different pair correct?

23. mikeinthevine - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM

It’s a diversion so you don’t notice how hard the used car salesman is cramming interleague play down our throats.

24. nofunleague - Apr 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM

He should have had a teammate whear the reverse pair. Get a Life Bud. This Buds not for you. What a silly old man. One day out of 162, who cares.

25. chucklewis13 - Apr 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Carl needs to find this own niche and stop being such a copy cat. That is what is wrong with this world today everyone is trying to do what someone else did. Does Carl think that wearing mismatched shoes and looking stupid in the process– is a tribute to Jackie Robinson? I think not!

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB