Ohio high school team wins game 65-0. It lasted three innings.

Apr 17, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

Oh Mercy

This from my neck of the woods. Really, like a few miles from the fortified compound. It happened on April 5, but news travels slowly here in the heartland. We’re busy with our milk seeds to be plant and wheat to be, um, churned. Or whatever the heck you people in the cities think we do here in Ohio all the time:

Jeff Boyer has been a baseball coach at Licking Heights High School in Pataskala, Ohio, for 34 years, and he’s never seen anything like it.

Boyer’s Hornets beat Harvest Prep 65-0 on April 5 in a game called in the third inning. Licking Heights scored 16 runs in the first, 18 in the second and 31 in the third.

And it wasn’t called by the mercy rule. That doesn’t kick in until the 5th. It was called due to darkness.

Licking Heights is in an area which has grown pretty substantially over the years and, as a bit of historical hangover, is in the same division as a lot of much smaller high schools’ sports teams. ¬†Licking Heights has over 900 students, from an increasingly suburbanized area. Harvest Prep, in contrast, is a K-12 Christian school.

Heights is moving up a division next year I believe. In the meantime you get things like we had here last week. Which is the way they want it. Well, they get it.

1. El Bravo - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Licking Heights eh? Giggity.

• umrguy42 - Apr 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

South-central Missouri (near where I went to college) has a lovely pair of nearby towns, Licking and Anutt…

2. paperlions - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Does the fortified compound have extra vitamins and minerals?

• paperlions - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I really just want to see if you’ve got the minerals:

• El Bravo - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM

No thankyou, Turkish. I’m sweet enough.

• El Bravo - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I still can’t believe that that dude is the same dude who plays Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire.

• jm91rs - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I never would have caught that. He really had to fatten up for the Capone role. That was a very Al Capone move in that clip though.

• chacochicken - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Turkish: No, Tommy, there’s a gun in your trousers. What is a gun doing in your trousers?
        Tommy: It’s for protection!
        Turkish: Protection from what? Zee Germans?

• contraryguy - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Central Ohio baseball aside (and I’m digging that part of it too) the Snatch refs are killing me. Love it.

• contraryguy - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Licking Heights to Harvest: “Do you know what nemesis means?”

3. randygnyc - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM

More liked knocked out loaded.

4. dowhatifeellike - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I haven’t seen a score like that since 10-12 ball.

5. danrizzle - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Love the Guns ‘n Roses reference!

• phuckphilly99 - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM

…which is actually a cool hand luke reference

• danrizzle - Apr 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I realize that. Sarcasm font disabled apparently.

6. rbj1 - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I went to a baseball game and a football game broke out.

7. modellforprez - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM

like to see some of those stats. Jimmy Junkwell goes 11 for 13 with 4 homers 3 doubles 2 triples and 2 singles has 16 rbi’s 30 total bases. damn and thats just one player

8. rockthered1286 - Apr 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM

How hard is it for a coach of a Christian school to not drop a few GD’s Holy S’s or my favorite, “regoddamndiculous”es during those 3 innings. Can you even imagine his post game talk with his players? “See boys there is a hell. And we all just experienced it.”

• dowhatifeellike - Apr 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Opposing coach: “Where’s your Savior now?”

I’d bet that the coach was swearing up a storm. I went to a Catholic high school and the gym teacher would call us every name in the book. Baseball and wrestling coaches weren’t much better. The only coach I had who didn’t have a foul mouth was the varsity football coach, but he was also a faculty member.

• dondada10 - Apr 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Then he’s a pussy. I’m a Catholic School teacher/coach and I’ve had more than a few colorful chats with the guys at halftimes.

• largebill - Apr 17, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Speaks poorly of our vocabulary when we are unable to express ourselves without swearing.

• manchestermiracle - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Most curse words have a rich history and are expressive and effective when used sparingly. There are no bad words, only poor usage of them.

• heraldedprophet - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Mike Ditka proved you didn’t need to cuss to coach. You calling him weak?

9. hisgirlgotburrelled - Apr 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM

We had a 3-inning 20 run mercy rule in high school (we actually had to use it once). Why doesn’t all high school baseball have it?

10. bolweevils2 - Apr 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM

So I gather high school coaches calling off the dogs when the game gets ridiculously out of hand like this is something that just isn’t done?

• largebill - Apr 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM

bolweevils, What is a coach going to do other than be less aggressive (no SB’s, etc). Can’t exactly tell you players to intentionally make outs. Unlike football where you can just run the clock out in baseball the opposition has to get those three outs.

• pappageorgio - Apr 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Actually……there is a longer version of the stroy on yahoo that explains that the HC of the winning team approached the ump at some point and offered to have his kids bunt and then step on the plate to assure an out.

The ump told him no because he didn’t want the game to be a mockery (or something like that)…..The HC said he was thinking “we’re already there”.

11. yousuxxors - Apr 17, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I think they could of came back

12. genericcommenter - Apr 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I live pretty close to there, too. Not far from the Rod Parsleys.

13. imthewiz77 - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I’d like to know how many walks there were, in these high scoring games usually kids just can’t throw strikes

• manchestermiracle - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

With that many runs I’m thinking the catcher on the losing team got very little work.

14. 11thstreetmafia - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM

…but did they cover the spread?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3680)