Apr 17, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
This from my neck of the woods. Really, like a few miles from the fortified compound. It happened on April 5, but news travels slowly here in the heartland. We’re busy with our milk seeds to be plant and wheat to be, um, churned. Or whatever the heck you people in the cities think we do here in Ohio all the time:
Jeff Boyer has been a baseball coach at Licking Heights High School in Pataskala, Ohio, for 34 years, and he’s never seen anything like it.
Boyer’s Hornets beat Harvest Prep 65-0 on April 5 in a game called in the third inning. Licking Heights scored 16 runs in the first, 18 in the second and 31 in the third.
And it wasn’t called by the mercy rule. That doesn’t kick in until the 5th. It was called due to darkness.
Licking Heights is in an area which has grown pretty substantially over the years and, as a bit of historical hangover, is in the same division as a lot of much smaller high schools’ sports teams. Licking Heights has over 900 students, from an increasingly suburbanized area. Harvest Prep, in contrast, is a K-12 Christian school.
Heights is moving up a division next year I believe. In the meantime you get things like we had here last week. Which is the way they want it. Well, they get it.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)