Apr 17, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
This from my neck of the woods. Really, like a few miles from the fortified compound. It happened on April 5, but news travels slowly here in the heartland. We’re busy with our milk seeds to be plant and wheat to be, um, churned. Or whatever the heck you people in the cities think we do here in Ohio all the time:
Jeff Boyer has been a baseball coach at Licking Heights High School in Pataskala, Ohio, for 34 years, and he’s never seen anything like it.
Boyer’s Hornets beat Harvest Prep 65-0 on April 5 in a game called in the third inning. Licking Heights scored 16 runs in the first, 18 in the second and 31 in the third.
And it wasn’t called by the mercy rule. That doesn’t kick in until the 5th. It was called due to darkness.
Licking Heights is in an area which has grown pretty substantially over the years and, as a bit of historical hangover, is in the same division as a lot of much smaller high schools’ sports teams. Licking Heights has over 900 students, from an increasingly suburbanized area. Harvest Prep, in contrast, is a K-12 Christian school.
Heights is moving up a division next year I believe. In the meantime you get things like we had here last week. Which is the way they want it. Well, they get it.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (316)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)