Apr 17, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
This from my neck of the woods. Really, like a few miles from the fortified compound. It happened on April 5, but news travels slowly here in the heartland. We’re busy with our milk seeds to be plant and wheat to be, um, churned. Or whatever the heck you people in the cities think we do here in Ohio all the time:
Jeff Boyer has been a baseball coach at Licking Heights High School in Pataskala, Ohio, for 34 years, and he’s never seen anything like it.
Boyer’s Hornets beat Harvest Prep 65-0 on April 5 in a game called in the third inning. Licking Heights scored 16 runs in the first, 18 in the second and 31 in the third.
And it wasn’t called by the mercy rule. That doesn’t kick in until the 5th. It was called due to darkness.
Licking Heights is in an area which has grown pretty substantially over the years and, as a bit of historical hangover, is in the same division as a lot of much smaller high schools’ sports teams. Licking Heights has over 900 students, from an increasingly suburbanized area. Harvest Prep, in contrast, is a K-12 Christian school.
Heights is moving up a division next year I believe. In the meantime you get things like we had here last week. Which is the way they want it. Well, they get it.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 0
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 51
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 77
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 65
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)