Apr 17, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
This from my neck of the woods. Really, like a few miles from the fortified compound. It happened on April 5, but news travels slowly here in the heartland. We’re busy with our milk seeds to be plant and wheat to be, um, churned. Or whatever the heck you people in the cities think we do here in Ohio all the time:
Jeff Boyer has been a baseball coach at Licking Heights High School in Pataskala, Ohio, for 34 years, and he’s never seen anything like it.
Boyer’s Hornets beat Harvest Prep 65-0 on April 5 in a game called in the third inning. Licking Heights scored 16 runs in the first, 18 in the second and 31 in the third.
And it wasn’t called by the mercy rule. That doesn’t kick in until the 5th. It was called due to darkness.
Licking Heights is in an area which has grown pretty substantially over the years and, as a bit of historical hangover, is in the same division as a lot of much smaller high schools’ sports teams. Licking Heights has over 900 students, from an increasingly suburbanized area. Harvest Prep, in contrast, is a K-12 Christian school.
Heights is moving up a division next year I believe. In the meantime you get things like we had here last week. Which is the way they want it. Well, they get it.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 17
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 20
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 19
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)