Apr 17, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
As expected, the Padres have activated third baseman Chase Headley from the 15-day disabled list in time for Wednesday evening’s series-finale against the Dodgers. Cameron Maybin was put on the disabled list in a corresponding roster move because of a left wrist injury. This news comes courtesy of MLB.com’s Corey Brock.
Headley has been sidelined since fracturing the tip of his left thumb during a Cactus League game in mid-March. He was originally given a recovery timetable of 4-6 weeks, so his rehab was actually rather swift.
Headley finished fifth in the National League MVP voting last year after batting .286/.376/.498 with 31 home runs, 17 stolen bases and 115 RBI in 161 games for the Friars. The club is 4-10 with a -19 run differential so far this season in his absence.
Maybin’s injury is not thought to be serious, but he’s dealt with wrist issues for the past two years.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 10
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)