Apr 17, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
As expected, the Padres have activated third baseman Chase Headley from the 15-day disabled list in time for Wednesday evening’s series-finale against the Dodgers. Cameron Maybin was put on the disabled list in a corresponding roster move because of a left wrist injury. This news comes courtesy of MLB.com’s Corey Brock.
Headley has been sidelined since fracturing the tip of his left thumb during a Cactus League game in mid-March. He was originally given a recovery timetable of 4-6 weeks, so his rehab was actually rather swift.
Headley finished fifth in the National League MVP voting last year after batting .286/.376/.498 with 31 home runs, 17 stolen bases and 115 RBI in 161 games for the Friars. The club is 4-10 with a -19 run differential so far this season in his absence.
Maybin’s injury is not thought to be serious, but he’s dealt with wrist issues for the past two years.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)