Apr 17, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
As expected, the Padres have activated third baseman Chase Headley from the 15-day disabled list in time for Wednesday evening’s series-finale against the Dodgers. Cameron Maybin was put on the disabled list in a corresponding roster move because of a left wrist injury. This news comes courtesy of MLB.com’s Corey Brock.
Headley has been sidelined since fracturing the tip of his left thumb during a Cactus League game in mid-March. He was originally given a recovery timetable of 4-6 weeks, so his rehab was actually rather swift.
Headley finished fifth in the National League MVP voting last year after batting .286/.376/.498 with 31 home runs, 17 stolen bases and 115 RBI in 161 games for the Friars. The club is 4-10 with a -19 run differential so far this season in his absence.
Maybin’s injury is not thought to be serious, but he’s dealt with wrist issues for the past two years.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)