Apr 17, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
After trying and failing to wait out the rains Tuesday night, the scoreless Phillies-Reds game was suspended after 8 1/2 innings. When play resumed Wednesday, the Reds sent four men to the plate and all four reached, ending the game in less than 10 minutes.
Zack Cozart singled, Joey Votto walked, Brandon Phillips reached on an error and Jay Bruce delivered a game-ending liner to right off Phillippe Aumont to give the Reds the 1-0 win. They’re back up to .500 on the season after getting swept by the Pirates over the weekend.
The result made a winner out of Aroldis Chapman after he pitched a scoreless ninth last night. Chapman would have only thrown the one inning then, but he likely would have remained in and pitched the 10th today had the game continued. Chapman still hasn’t allowed a run in 7 1/3 innings this season.
For Bruce, it was his first RBI in nine days. The slugger still doesn’t have a homer in 62 at-bats this season. Bruce finished with 32 and 34 homers the last two years.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 14
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 25
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)