Apr 17, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Brandon Inge is trying to make his way back to the majors with the Pirates by playing at Triple-A and last night he almost got into a fight with a Toledo Mud Hens fan throwing peanuts at him.
John Wagner of the Toledo Blade sets the scene:
According to eyewitness reports, in the early innings of the contest the unidentified fan was throwing peanuts at Brandon Inge, who spent significant time with both the Detroit Tigers and Hens.
Before the fifth inning began, the fan came to railing on the far side of the Indianapolis dugout and exchanged words with Inge. A number of Inge’s teammates came to his defense, with several attempting to jump the railing that separated them from the fan. The fan was escorted out of the ballpark but attempted to throw beer on the Indians before leaving.
Toledo is the Tigers’ Triple-A affiliate and Inge played there in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, and 2012. You’d think maybe all that time in Toledo playing for the home team would make him immune to peanut targeting, but I guess not.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 23
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 75
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (102)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)