Apr 17, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Brandon Inge is trying to make his way back to the majors with the Pirates by playing at Triple-A and last night he almost got into a fight with a Toledo Mud Hens fan throwing peanuts at him.
John Wagner of the Toledo Blade sets the scene:
According to eyewitness reports, in the early innings of the contest the unidentified fan was throwing peanuts at Brandon Inge, who spent significant time with both the Detroit Tigers and Hens.
Before the fifth inning began, the fan came to railing on the far side of the Indianapolis dugout and exchanged words with Inge. A number of Inge’s teammates came to his defense, with several attempting to jump the railing that separated them from the fan. The fan was escorted out of the ballpark but attempted to throw beer on the Indians before leaving.
Toledo is the Tigers’ Triple-A affiliate and Inge played there in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, and 2012. You’d think maybe all that time in Toledo playing for the home team would make him immune to peanut targeting, but I guess not.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)