Apr 17, 2013, 12:48 PM EST
Any hope Indians fans had of Ubaldo Jimenez turning things around following a brutal 2012 season has already vanished, as Jimenez has been even worse so far this year.
He’s coughed up seven runs in each of his last two starts and failed to make it out of the second inning yesterday against the Red Sox, walking five of the 12 batters he faced. Jimenez now has a 5.60 ERA in 45 starts for the Indians dating back to mid-2011, when they acquired him from the Rockies.
Jimenez insisted after yesterday’s clunker that he’s not hurt, saying: “I felt really good,. I felt strong. The velocity was there. I just couldn’t control it in that inning.” His average fastball clocked in at 93.5 miles per hour, which was up from his previous two starts this season, but that’s still a far cry from his average of 96.1 miles per hour in 2009 and 2010.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 8
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 81
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)