Ubaldo Jimenez is still a mess

Apr 17, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT

Ubaldo Jimenez AP

Any hope Indians fans had of Ubaldo Jimenez turning things around following a brutal 2012 season has already vanished, as Jimenez has been even worse so far this year.

He’s coughed up seven runs in each of his last two starts and failed to make it out of the second inning yesterday against the Red Sox, walking five of the 12 batters he faced. Jimenez now has a 5.60 ERA in 45 starts for the Indians dating back to mid-2011, when they acquired him from the Rockies.

Jimenez insisted after yesterday’s clunker that he’s not hurt, saying: “I felt really good,. I felt strong. The velocity was there. I just couldn’t control it in that inning.” His average fastball clocked in at 93.5 miles per hour, which was up from his previous two starts this season, but that’s still a far cry from his average of 96.1 miles per hour in 2009 and 2010.

1. uyf1950 - Apr 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Well it’s probably a pretty safe bet that the Indians won’t pick up their $8MM 2014 option on Jimenez. Instead they will pay the $1MM buyout. This could go down as one of the worse trades in MLB history. That is unless you consider the Red Sox selling Babe Ruth outright for cash.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Every time I see him pitch, I’m so glad the Yankees were outbid on that one.

• uyf1950 - Apr 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM

My friend he can be a 2014 “reclamation” project for Brian Cashman. Very low risk, potentially high reward on a minor league deal. Which is probably all anyone will sign him for if he continues on the same path for the rest of 2013.

• weareallkipnises - Apr 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I don’t think you can consider this near a worst trades of all time. Neither Alex White or Drew Pomeranz have done nothing to prove they can pitch consistently in the majors. White is in the Astros system now. I think he’s out for the year with Tommy Johns, and Pomeranz was 2-9 last year in Colorado. I think this is one of those times you can chalk it up to a trade where everybody lost, badly.

• weareallkipnises - Apr 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM

…And commence with the bad grammar jokes. Wow, that was bad.

2. randygnyc - Apr 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I really thought Jimenez was going to be a star after 09 and 10. I enjoyed watching his starts, although he looks too much like Obama to really root for. Anyway, it’s as if his abilities disappeared almost overnight. Velocity, gone. I don’t think it’s mental. He has passed bunch of physical evaluations. What happened to Ubaldo Jimenez?

• aceshigh11 - Apr 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM

What a stupid comment.

• randygnyc - Apr 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Then I guess you really disliked the recent depiction of Satan in the Mini-series the Bible that aired on the history channel, lol?

• tuberippin - Apr 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Stupid comments are his forté. Or, in baseball terms, saying dumb shit is randyg’s can-o-corn fly ball.

• scoocha - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Great stuff, Randy. Keep posting, love the comments.

RE: Ubaldo, why do AL GMs think a guy like this will excel once he leaves the NL. It was amazing that he was performing great while playing at Coors Field but the AL is another beast all together. Check his stats, he can’t survive playing these teams. Trade him to MILW, his numbers again will drop guaranteed.

• hermitfool - Apr 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Ubaldo’s ears are much smaller.

• turdfurgerson68 - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Good ‘ol randygayc…how them Yankees doing?

• uyf1950 - Apr 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I’m not Randy as you can tell. But if you followed them you would know they are doing pretty well. Fifth best record in the AL and for the most part the 2nd best offense in the AL behind the Tigers. Considering the injuries and the make shift line up again I’d say pretty darn well.

• turdfurgerson68 - Apr 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Oh, i do follow. Yankees are doing better than expected no doubt. But can they sustain it? Maybe, but their pitching staff is older than Moses.

And let’s see if Hafner and crew can sustain their excellent starts.

Lotta ‘ifs’…

• uyf1950 - Apr 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM

turd, no any many “if’s” as you think. First off both Granderson and Tex should be back no later then the middle of May possibly sooner. So that will take a lot of the pressure off Hafner, Wells and Overbay. As for the starting rotation I assume you are talking about Kuroda and Pettitte and seasoned professionals I’m sure they know how to manage a season.
        Personally I’d be far more concerned about the Red Sox if I were a Red Sox fan. Obviously Lester and Buchholz aren’t going to keep up there pace. And Dempster will be eaten alive by the AL teams and smaller parks and DH something he never faced while with the Cubs. And lets face it that powerful offense most Red Sox fans were counting on this season hasn’t really materialized yet and may not.
        If I were a betting man and I’m not I’d be much more comfortable with the Yankees maintaining their performance then the Red Sox. But hey that’s just my opinion I’m sure others would disagree.

• uyf1950 - Apr 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM

correction: “not” as many if’s….

• turdfurgerson68 - Apr 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

You think Texiera is going to be an upgrade?? He’s a bum. Maybe defensively. Granderson will be a big help no doubt.

Sox hitting has been decent, and thats with Ortiz.

And this myth that Dempster will fare badly in the AL is just that…a myth. Take a look at ALL his starts for Texas last year and you’ll be hard pressed to buy into that myth again.

I’ll take the Red Sox pitching staff 100% over the Yankees…and that includes Riviera.

3. Marty - Apr 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I remember when Ubaldo Jiminez going up against Tim Lincecum was a clash of titans.

4. raidergreg2000 - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Cleveland your the best!

• Marty - Apr 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Oakland, *you’re* the worst.

5. Jason Lukehart - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Masterson has been great so far, and Zach McAllister has been pretty good too. Brett Myers looked better in his most recent starts, but most Tribe fans I know don’t have a lot of confidence in him. Scott Kazmir was great this spring and in his rehab start, he’s coming up this weekend and can hopefully be effective. Carrasco is facing a suspension (and looks more than a little rusty) and Bauer doesn’t quite seem ready.

There are enough names to fill five rotation spots without Jimenez, but there are far too many question marks among them, so I’d bet the Indians run Ubaldo back out there against Astros this weekend and the Twins after that, in hopes that weaker lineups will lead to better results. If not, I think he’s got to be pulled.

6. nocitpeced - Apr 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen! Allow me to introduce you to the newest addition in the MLB freak show…Ubaldo Jiminez! The ONLY pitcher in history to pitch BETTER while a member of the Rockies!!!

7. ienjoysensi - Apr 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Uyf ….. You really are an idiot . Although your far fetched comments do give me a laugh every now and then .

• uyf1950 - Apr 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Am I suppose to be offended by the crass nature of your comment? Because when I read something like that it says more about you then it does me. Have a nice day.

8. scoocha - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Gotta love anti-Yankee sentiment. Jealous much?
    Your teams have so much more money than the NYY and yet you still can’t compete. Detroit is/was owned by a public corporation and barely wins the weak Central division. Hilarious.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3669)