Apr 17, 2013, 9:42 PM EST
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told reporters in the aftermath of last Friday’s benches-clearing brawl that Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin should be suspended for as long as it takes Zack Greinke to fully recover from his fractured left collarbone.
Greinke, though, says that would be “pretty crazy.”
This is from Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times:
Quentin was suspended eight games, a penalty Greinke said he believed was the maximum ever levied by Major League Baseball against a batter charging the mound.
“Right there, that says a lot,” Greinke said. “To expect the league to do more than that would be pretty crazy.”
Greinke would not say whether he had heard from Quentin since the incident. Greinke also would not comment on Quentin’s contention that the pitcher yelled an expletive at him before he charged the mound. “It just isn’t anyone else’s business,” Greinke said.
The $147 million man will be sidelined for at least six more weeks. Ted Lilly is taking his rotation spot.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 26
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 29
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)