And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Apr 18, 2013, 5:55 AM EST

Jay Bruce

Reds 1, Phillies 0: CONTINUED FROM TUESDAY NIGHT: Nine minutes, a quick score and then the whole thing was over. About as good a night as you coulda hoped for when you were 17, but for the Phillies this had to be disappointing.

Reds 11, Phillies 2: Well, maybe not as disappointing as this. The Reds complete their first sweep of Philly in 17 years. John Lannan was pummeled. So too was the rest of the Phillies pitchers. Heck, Mike Leake had three hits including a triple. The Phillies only scored four runs in the series.

Royals 1, Braves 0: I was tempted to say that Doug Eddings and Wade Davis combined on a shutout, but that’s just petty I suppose. There were A LOT of bad ball and strike calls, sure. But watching Dan Uggla swing at everything from the dirt to the bill of his cap in the ninth inning made me think, well, some days it’s just not your day. Game’s lone RBI goes to Jeff Francouer. Which I presume will lead to some Francouer fans down in Georgia to start up that “we never shoulda gotten rid of him” chatter they’re prone to down there. Doesn’t matter who’s in the Braves’ outfield. There’s always a group of dead-enders who pine for Jeffy.

Pirates 5, Cardinals 0: A.J. Burnett allowed one hit, taking the no-no into the seventh. He also notched his 2,000th career strikeout.  Not a bad night for Shelby Miller either, but tough luck is part of the game, yo.

Nationals 6, Marlins 1: Bryce Harper went 4 for 5 and Ross Detwiler allowed only one run in seven innings. And the Marlins went back to remembering that they are, in fact, the Marlins.

White Sox 7, Blue Jays 0Jose Quintana tamed the Jays. Tyler Flowers hit a three-run homer. Old friend Alex Rios hit one too.

Rays 6, Orioles 2: Tampa Bay snaps its four-game losing streak. Matt Moore got the win. He has three on the season. The entire Rays team has five.

Red Sox 6, Indians 3: Five straight wins for the Bosox. Alfredo Aceves, pressed into service as a starter, took a shutout into the sixth, but then he hit a wall. After three solid starts Justin Masterson hit a wall of his own, surrendering 11 hits.

Yankees 4, Diamondbacks 3: Down 3-0 entering the bottom of the seventh, the Yankees tied it up and then Travis Hafner hit a pinch-hit homer in the eighth to cap off a four-run rally. New York has won seven of eight, which is really messing with a lot of predictions of doom out there. Pretty inconsiderate, you guys.

Athletics 7, Astros 5: Six runs in the first was a less than gracious homecoming for Marin County’s Bud Norris, but such is life for the Astros. Meanwhile, the A’s have played approximately 193 games against Houston so far this year. I think it’s time they move up a level.

Padres 7, Dodgers 2: Clayton Kershaw gave up three homers in three innings. Because baseball. Even the best ones get rocked on random Wednesday nights.

Tigers 2, Mariners 1: 14 innings. Batters combined for 14 strikeouts. Prince Fielder led the pack with five. The only runs in the game scored on a couple of fielder’s choices and an RBI single. But there was some goodness here in the starting pitching. Indeed, it’s a shame neither starter could win this one, with Max Scherzer striking out 12 while allowing only one run in eight innings and Felix Hernandez striking out 12 while allowing only an unearned run in his eight.

Brewers 4, Giants 3: Pinch hitter Blake Lalli — who has a name that I’d sooner place on some actress in her early 20s who stars in some new show that is decidedly not aimed at my demographic — hit the first pitch he saw for the game-winning single in the ninth. Runners hit second and third just before that thanks to a Brandon Crawford throwing error.

Angels vs. Twins: POSTPONED: Three, four: Hey mr. rain. Ain’t you follow me down. Hey mr. rain. Ain’t you follow me down. I’ve been working baby oh! so hard. Stayin up in the sky. Hey mr. rain. Ain’t you follow me down

Rangers vs. Cubs: POSTPONED: See the sky about to rain, broken clouds and rain. Locomotive, pull the train, whistle blowing through my brain. Signals curling on an open plain, rolling down the track again. See the sky about to rain.

Mets vs. Rockies: POSTPONED: Dreamed I was an eskimo. Frozen wind began to blow. Under my boots and around my toes. The frost that bit the ground below. It was a hundred degrees below zero…

1. Old Gator - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:07 AM

The planet wobbled on its axis briefly night before last when the Feesh scored eight runs, three on a home run by Adeiny Hechavarria, but once Dan Haren began showering the unnatural oscillations abated. However, their veectory on Tuesday did require me to pump some more steam through my Babbage engine and re-plot the Feesh’s won-lost projection for the season. I tried to program some Indametrics into it, but after spitting a couple of sprockets and keys, the mechanical sage tooted twice and then defaulted to its built-in systems, indicating a new plot of 3-159. The good news is that the Iron Giant returns tonight after mysteriously contusioning his shoulder a week or so ago (no one has yet explained how), but remember, the Feesh still project to 1-161 on the road.

• natslady - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:31 AM

1-80, no?

Ryan Zimmerman, whose throwing has replaced The Shutdown as this year’s National Debate, had maybe two chances and didn’t muff either of them (Desi did, but we’re used to that). Nats have an off-day and then 17 games in 17 days. mmmmmm…. baseball…..

Eh, the Eddings strike zone was a little large (okay, a lot large) but both sides got calls.

• natslady - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Detwiler was robbed of his shutout (mighta been a complete game, too, his pitchcount wasn’t high). If Zoook had tagged Solano any harder he woulda given him a concussion. Watch the ump signal OUT and then change his mind.

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM

1-80, unless you’re as enthusiastic as my Babbage engine. It just loves to project. Also, I suspect it’s channeling all the love Macondoans have for Scrooge McLoria, who wish the team would go play all its games on the road, like Benoit Mandelbrot or something, and stop embarrassing us.

• cur68 - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Your kid, Fernandez goes tonight. Your slugger, The Iron (mildly contused) Giant, should return, too. Any predictions for this one? I got both guys in our league, and I really need them both to bring it. Perhaps a word in the ear, with a bucket of extra crispy KFC, for your Sanataria neighbour to call out the mojo for them? We need some Juju, and bad.

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Our magic fingered shortstop just went on the DL with a right elbow…eh…contusion. These things are multiplying like tribbles.

My prediction is that he’s in for a learning experience. He gets swatted around a little bit by the Reds. Not too badly; I think it’ll be the boolpen and the suddenly porous infield that really lets the game get out of reach. Of course, the Feesh don’t have much reach in the first place, and as happy as I am that the Iron Giant’s shoulder is feeling better, he didn’t have his stroke or his timing down before the injury so I wouldn’t want to be that he’ll have it down yet tonight.

Of course, predicting a Feesh folly is among the safest prognostications you can proffer these days. If they lose, eh, like you were a genius, right? If they should happen to win, folks will write it off as a fluke anyway. And if they win several in a row, no one is going to remember that you predicted a loss and were wrong a few days ago. Happy as a bull snake in a gopher nursery, I am.

2. dondada10 - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Nine minutes?

When I was 17 that would’ve meant I scored twice.

• historiophiliac - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM

lucky girl(s)…

• Kleinz 57 - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Clever girl….

• dondada10 - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Girls, indeed. Let’s see, there was Handgela, Palmala, and my black girlfriend in high school, Spankmymeatqua.

• historiophiliac - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Note to self: in the future, leave these threads alone…

3. uyf1950 - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Gardner and Hafner had key hits in the Yankees win and much to my surprise even Nix contributed. Good come from behind win for the Yankees and once the 1st inning passed CC was able to settle down.and give the Yankees 8 innings. Resting the bullpen for what in all likelihood will be needed with Huighes on the mound today.

• uyf1950 - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM

correction: “Hughes” I did hit the edit button but nothing happened.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:18 AM

I guess the obvious query is how long the Universe will be able to win with four runs. Is Hafner truly the best DH we’ve had in years? Could be.

• uyf1950 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM

He surely is the best “true” DH the Yankees had in years based on a very small sample size in his case. But baring injury I think it will hold true all season.

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I love all the dirty peectures in his magazine, too.

• APBA Guy - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I had Hafner for years on my APBA team, so this makes me an expert, right? /s/

Anyway, he usually starts hot, then the injuries kick in. I will say that he looks a bit slimmer than his last few years in Cleveland, so that could help while he’s uninjured. I wish him well, and hope he continues to find that short porch, but history doesn’t favor this lasting all year.

• mybrunoblog - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I agree about the bullpen and Hughes. Great job by CC and Yanks Scored their 3 tying runs with 2 outs in the 7th.
      I am making my 2013 Yankee Stadium debut tonight so light a candle for Hughes and hope he can keep it close. I hate seeing losses.

• Kevin S. - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Phelps is rested, right?

4. randygnyc - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:02 AM

3 thoughts
    1) predictions of a Yankee demise were premature and I’ll advised. Winners of 7 of their last 8.
    2) Toronto sucks. Why would anyone think that players with a recent track record of failure would simply become winners through relocation?
    3) phillies don’t stand a chance in a division with the Nats and the oh so impressive Braves.

• Robert Dobalina - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Maybe the Marlins were on to something dumping those losers?

Meanwhile, the Phillies need to fire the manager before another season becomes a total loss. These guys need a kick in the ass and Uncle Charlie just isn’t going to give one to them. Not that firing him will all of a sudden win them the division, but not firing him certainly isn’t going to help these guys. If that debacle last night didn’t tell Ruben that these guys have started to quit, then he has his head in the sand.

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Well, understanding that I have no homeboy reflex sympathies whatosever, and also taking into account my suspicion that there’s something wrong in Macondo – ie, that Scrooge and the front orifice’s terminal incompetence is infectious, but only locally – a few observations about the trade: (1) Jose Reyes was batting .395 when he hurt himself; (2) Buehrle and JJ both are coming off good, strong outings, and (3) Bonifacio is pretty much the only one of the key trade figures who’s off to a slow start. The real underperformers on the Jays are mostly the guys who were already there.

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

toronto does suck but im loving it anyway. 6-9 baby! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

5. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:23 AM

9 minutes is 8 more than I need.

• historiophiliac - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I seriously don’t understand why you boys brag about disappointing your partners. It’s weird…and you should come with a warning then.

• nolanwiffle - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

We do come with a warning…..it’s usually a grunt followed almost immediately with a sheepish apology.

See what I did there?

• APBA Guy - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

History- for most of us, 17 was a long time ago, and there is enough distance that we can laugh about it now. But trust me, I’ll never forget the looks on a couple of girls faces at the time. “Is that all?” was a question I never wanted to hear repeated. Fortunately, recovery time was also a lot faster then.

• historiophiliac - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Oh, I’m sorry. Did I sound too bitter? lol

6. natslady - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Yep, our Kid doubled, caught the ball in the outfield and beat out a single (in the ninth inning when the Nats were already leading 5-1)… all the while…

Though he convinced [manager Davey] Johnson earlier in the afternoon he could play, [Bryce] Harper was painfully not 100 percent healthy during the game. He received an IV before first pitch, had to retreat to the bathroom in the second inning to vomit, said his head was spinning when he swung the bat and was hunched over several times after running the bases.

“I thought he was going to die every time he went up there,” Johnson said.

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM

He sounds like a typical Feesh fan, watching a game….

7. detroitr1 - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM

…actually, there was a combined 40 K’s in the Tigers/Mariners game.

8. historiophiliac - Apr 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM

It was a fantastic pitchers’ duel in Seattle. Max was magnificent — as was Felix, and there was no laid-back Leyland last night. He wanted to win and was aggressive about it. The pitchers all seemed in top form. I made it halfway through the 12th before I had to give up (but truthfully, the tornado sirens made sleeping impossible until then anyway). I was ecstatic to wake to the win. And, again, our veterany pickup was delicious outstanding. Grrrrrrrreat! V is on the mound this afternoon, but I hardly think he could’ve done better than Max last night. Go, Tigers!

• historiophiliac - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:06 AM

And was that deja vu or did Ibanez force extra innings again?

• deweyks - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

The Tigers struck out 21 times last night, the Mariners 19 times! Prince whiffed 5x, is now 0-11 in the series, with 9 strikeouts. The game ended when Smoak was tagged out trying to score from first on a double. Long game.

9. abaird2012 - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Craig:

Dominus vobiscum et cum spiritu tuo,
    Won’t you eat my sleazy pancakes,
    Just for saintly Alfonzo,
    They’re so light and fluffy white,
    We’ll raise a fotune by tonight,
    They’re so light and fluffy brown,
    They’re the finest in the town,

Good morning, your highness …

• Cran Boy - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Look here, brother. Who you jivin’ with that cosmik debris?

• abaird2012 - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Stink-Foot!

10. crnvic847 - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Looks like Cubs-Rangers will be rained out again today. 5+ inches of rain here in Chicago and it isn’t even close to ending anytime soon.

• jarathen - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM

April showers have been the midwest to a tee. Dozens of starter veggies in my home as I stare out at the gray skies and count down the remaining days of warmth until another winter.

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

FWIW, I’ve always liked fennel – straight grilled or sauteed or in stews or casseroles – but just for the hell of it, I looked up its nutritional content. Wow! Thet thar little bulb is one powerful package of goodies, just behind the sweet potato. Stick a few of those in the ground.

11. heyblueyoustink - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM

The antagonistic child in me wants to send you a Jeff Francoeur bobble head or fat head or something, Captain C.C..

I mean it’s not like one silly game will matter, right? :-)

12. Cran Boy - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Hey Craig, it was FORTY K’s in the Tigers-Mariners game, not FOURTEEN. Crazy. Tied for second most ever; OAK-CAL in 1971 had 43 but it took them 20 innings.

13. Stiller43 - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:32 AM

The only way its 9 minutes is if you spent the latter 8 and a half of those texting your buds.

• sportsdrenched - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Which brings up a good point. I’m glad smartphones weren’t around when I was 17 or I would done way more dumb stuff than I already did.

• indaburg - Apr 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM

You probably would’ve done the same amount of stupid stuff. The difference is that today your dumb stuff can be saved for posterity.

14. stultusmagnus - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Man, I love that Neil Young song (not to mention the entire album).

15. Jason Lukehart - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM

The Tigers and Mariners combined 40 strikeouts are tied for the second most in MLB history with a Padres/Giants game from 2001 (15 innings, started by Adam Eaton and Russ Ortiz). The record is 43, set by the Angels and A’s all the way back in 1971 (20 innings, started by Rudy May and Vida Blue).

Felix and Scherzer become the first pair of starters to both strike out at least 12 in the same game since Mark Prior and Javier Vazquez back in 2003, and just the 12th pair in history.

• jwbiii - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

In 1971, Vida Blue was The Man. Just a few years later, he was Waitin’ for the Man. Sad.

16. dxl115 - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Nice Neil Young reference.

• spudchukar - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM

And Frank Zappa if I am not mistaken.

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

How could you possibly mistake Frank Zappa for anyone else?

17. shanabartels - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM

How many times do I have to post that it’s spelled Francoeur?!

• Old Gator - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Probably until the guy becomes a good enough ballplayer to attract much more than cursory interest.

18. bravojawja - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM

The only people down here who miss Frenchy at the plate are his high school buddies. The guy’s still got a howitzer of an arm in right field, though.

19. spudchukar - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Kyle Lohse registered his 3rd consecutive quality start. Arguably Milwaukee’s lone bright spot on the early season. He shut down the G-men through 5 but surrendered 3 in the sixth, but by keeping his squad in the game they rallied for the 4-3 win.

He now sports a 2.70 ERA, is his Spring Trainingless 2013 campaign. However, he still must suck to most who read here, cause in 20 innings he has only K’d 13. But his command must have been off Wednesday, cause according to his pitching stats, he issued 1 BB, his first of the season. Hope he hasn’t been listening to those who suggest in order to be a successful hurler in this league he needs to elevate his K/INN, cause he also recorded 6 K’s in 7 innings.

Might be a long season in Milwaukee, but at least once every 5 days the fans there will know they have a good shot at a win.

• Kevin S. - Apr 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Spuds, why do you insist on misrepresenting our points when it comes to pitcher strikeouts? He’s walking nobody and not allowing many home runs. We’ve always acknowledged that a middling-strikeout, low-walk/low-homer pitcher was a good pitcher. Our point was that he has to be really good in those other areas if he’s not going to strike a reasonable number of hitters out, and that it leaves him much less margin for error. He’s capable of doing it. Another pitcher without his control or homer-suppressing abilities would be in trouble with his K-rates. Stop making up strawmen.

• spudchukar - Apr 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Uh, no you haven’t always maintained what you claim, and obviously haven’t read enough posts to know that I am constantly vilified for my support of Lohse.

20. Detroit Michael - Apr 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

40, not 14, strikeouts in the Tigers-Mariners game. It’s correct in the post specifically about that game. That’s tied for the second highest strikeout total (for both teams) in MLB history.

21. APBA Guy - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM

The A’s did what they needed to do against a surprisingly poor performance by local boy Bud Norris, who was overthrowing and leaving everything up. Bo Porter has his guys scrapping but the talent/experience continuum is stacked against them. I do think they will make little incremental changes through the year, as guys prove out or fail, there will be a continuing evolution of the team. But bottom line, if you are an AL West team and you lose to the Astros, it’s really a disadvantage in the pennant race.

The A’s are in TB tomorrow to play a weekend series. The A’s are 6-4 against “real” teams, and 6-0 against the Astros. 3 of the 6 wins against real times came in a sweep of the Angels. After TB, who are scuffling, the A’s go to Boston, a place where they traditionally struggle. A 3-3 road trip would be satisfactory.

22. jm91rs - Apr 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I just realized that Mike Leake had more hits last night than Ryan Hanigan has this year. Ugh.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5326)