Apr 18, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
UPDATE: General manager Brian Cashman announced that a CT scan revealed a “small crack” near Jeter’s previous injury and the Yankees expect him to miss the entire first half. As of now he won’t need an additional surgery, but according to Cashman there is no timetable for Jeter’s return.
Unless they start shopping for a trade the Yankees will be leaning heavily on Eduardo Nunez.
It sounds like the latest setback for Derek Jeter‘s recovery from a broken ankle may be a serious one, as Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that he “made an unscheduled trip to Charlotte to see his ankle surgeon.”
No official details yet, but Feinsand speculates that it “doesn’t sound like good news” and when asked if the visit stemmed from something that happened during Jeter’s workout Wednesday manager Joe Girardi replied: “Put two and two together.”
Jeter’s return timetable has been pushed back several times and as of yesterday the spin in New York was that he might be working too hard.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)