Apr 18, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
UPDATE: General manager Brian Cashman announced that a CT scan revealed a “small crack” near Jeter’s previous injury and the Yankees expect him to miss the entire first half. As of now he won’t need an additional surgery, but according to Cashman there is no timetable for Jeter’s return.
Unless they start shopping for a trade the Yankees will be leaning heavily on Eduardo Nunez.
It sounds like the latest setback for Derek Jeter‘s recovery from a broken ankle may be a serious one, as Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that he “made an unscheduled trip to Charlotte to see his ankle surgeon.”
No official details yet, but Feinsand speculates that it “doesn’t sound like good news” and when asked if the visit stemmed from something that happened during Jeter’s workout Wednesday manager Joe Girardi replied: “Put two and two together.”
Jeter’s return timetable has been pushed back several times and as of yesterday the spin in New York was that he might be working too hard.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 4
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 50
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)