Apr 18, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
UPDATE: General manager Brian Cashman announced that a CT scan revealed a “small crack” near Jeter’s previous injury and the Yankees expect him to miss the entire first half. As of now he won’t need an additional surgery, but according to Cashman there is no timetable for Jeter’s return.
Unless they start shopping for a trade the Yankees will be leaning heavily on Eduardo Nunez.
It sounds like the latest setback for Derek Jeter‘s recovery from a broken ankle may be a serious one, as Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that he “made an unscheduled trip to Charlotte to see his ankle surgeon.”
No official details yet, but Feinsand speculates that it “doesn’t sound like good news” and when asked if the visit stemmed from something that happened during Jeter’s workout Wednesday manager Joe Girardi replied: “Put two and two together.”
Jeter’s return timetable has been pushed back several times and as of yesterday the spin in New York was that he might be working too hard.
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 12
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 31
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)