Apr 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman has had a hell of a time throwing the ball lately. Nats Insider Mark Zuckerman writes about it. Zimmerman thinks it’s a mental issue. His teammates, while downplaying it, think it’s a confidence issue. Here’s Ian Desmond:
“In a sense, it’s a confidence thing. He’s never come to me before about how to hit a homer, or how to drive in a runner from second, or how to make a diving play. So I would imagine his confidence is a little down if he’s coming to me. I have some things that I see, but I think he’s to the point now where it’s right there. He’s gotten 100 times better.”
Zuckerman gives the obligatory name checks to Steve Sax, Chuck Knoblauch, Mackey Sasser, but correctly notes that, mental or not, this doesn’t look at all like what those guys went through. He’s not airmailing things. He’s just throwing wide or missing.
Given that it’s not classic yips, Zimmerman’s protestations aside, you have to wonder if it isn’t physical. He had shoulder problems and, as Zuckerman noted last winter, Zimmerman has changed his throwing motion.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8