Apr 18, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Beck reports that Valverde is now done with extended spring training and is expected to move up to Single-A this weekend. And if that goes well he’d likely head to Triple-A at some point next week, putting him in position to rejoin the Tigers’ bullpen at any time.
After failing to generate any big-league offers all offseason Valverde came back to the Tigers on a minor-league contract two weeks ago. For now manager Jim Leyland has decided on Joaquin Benoit as the primary closer, but if Valverde does rejoin the bullpen it’s hard to imagine him not getting a chance to reclaim ninth-inning duties.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 6
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 52
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)