Apr 18, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Beck reports that Valverde is now done with extended spring training and is expected to move up to Single-A this weekend. And if that goes well he’d likely head to Triple-A at some point next week, putting him in position to rejoin the Tigers’ bullpen at any time.
After failing to generate any big-league offers all offseason Valverde came back to the Tigers on a minor-league contract two weeks ago. For now manager Jim Leyland has decided on Joaquin Benoit as the primary closer, but if Valverde does rejoin the bullpen it’s hard to imagine him not getting a chance to reclaim ninth-inning duties.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)