Apr 18, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Like most of the Marlins he was off to a bad start, hitting just .184 in 14 games, but Hechavarria is around for his defense at shortstop and the Marlins’ unappealing fill-in options include Chris Valaika, Donovan Solano, and Nick Green.
Hechavarria, who the Marlins got from the Blue Jays in the Jose Reyes-led blockbuster this winter, was originally signed out of Cuba in 2010 for $10 million.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)