Apr 18, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Like most of the Marlins he was off to a bad start, hitting just .184 in 14 games, but Hechavarria is around for his defense at shortstop and the Marlins’ unappealing fill-in options include Chris Valaika, Donovan Solano, and Nick Green.
Hechavarria, who the Marlins got from the Blue Jays in the Jose Reyes-led blockbuster this winter, was originally signed out of Cuba in 2010 for $10 million.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)