Apr 18, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Like most of the Marlins he was off to a bad start, hitting just .184 in 14 games, but Hechavarria is around for his defense at shortstop and the Marlins’ unappealing fill-in options include Chris Valaika, Donovan Solano, and Nick Green.
Hechavarria, who the Marlins got from the Blue Jays in the Jose Reyes-led blockbuster this winter, was originally signed out of Cuba in 2010 for $10 million.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)