Apr 18, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
After Johnny Cueto was placed on the disabled list earlier this week with a lat strain, Reds manager Dusty Baker estimated that the right-hander would only have to miss around 3-4 starts. That could be overly optimistic.
Reds head athletic trainer Paul Lessard told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer today that there is not a set timetable for Cueto to resume throwing.
“We want to make sure he’s pain free, has a good range of motion and base of strength,” trainer Paul Lessard said. “He’s feeling good. It could be a couple of days. It could be a couple more.”
Cueto is eligible to return from the disabled list on April 29, but he’ll have to make quick progress to be ready by then. Lat injuries can be tricky, so the Reds will have a better idea on a timetable once they see how he responds to throwing.
Tony Cingrani was called up from Triple-A Louisville to fill Cueto’s spot in the rotation. The 23-year-old left-hander allowed one run over five innings against the Marlins tonight in his first major league start.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)