Apr 18, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Stay classy, San Diego.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! reports that, the day after the Padres-Dodgers brawl, Padres President and CEO Tom Garfinkel told Padres season ticket holders that Zack Greinke was to blame for is own injury, saying that Greinke threw at Quentin on purpose and that he shouldn’t have put his shoulder down when the much larger Quentin rushed at him. Oh, and then this:
“He threw at him on purpose, OK?” Garfinkel told an estimated crowd of 40 or 50 at Petco Park on Friday, a day after the fight. “That’s what happened. They can say 3-and-2 count, 2-1 game, no one does that. Zack Greinke is a different kind of guy. Anyone seen ‘Rain Man’? He’s a very smart guy.”
Which is apparently a dig at Greinke’s well-known history with social anxiety disorder. Passan notes that Garfinkel has apologized for that comment.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 0
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 43
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)