Apr 18, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
It was hardly unexpected, but Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that the Red Sox have demoted outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. to Triple-A Pawtucket. David Ortiz is expected to be activated from the disabled list tomorrow in a corresponding roster move.
Bradley won the starting left field job with a fantastic showing this spring, but it didn’t translate once the regular season began. The 23-year-old batted just .097 (3-for-31) with one double, three RBI and a 12/6 K/BB ratio in 12 games. He hasn’t had a hit since April 5 and has barely seen the field in recent days, so he’s better off getting regular at-bats in the minor leagues.
Now that Ortiz is back in the fold, Jonny Gomes and Daniel Nava figure to split playing time in left field. Bradley still has a very promising future and could resurface at the big league level later this summer.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)