Apr 19, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
UFC president Dana White has Meniere’s disease, which the Mayo Clinic describes as “a disorder of the inner ear that causes spontaneous episodes of vertigo … along with fluctuating hearing loss, ringing in the ear, and sometimes a feeling of fullness or pressure in your ear.”
He’s undergone surgery that proved unsuccessful and has suffered multiple public attacks, so White was open to ideas for help and got one from Alex Rodriguez, who told him to seek treatment in Germany.
Rodriguez referred White to Dr. Peter Wehling in Dusseldorf, Germany, who put the Yankees third baseman through Orthokine blood-spinning treatment in 2011 for knee and shoulder injuries and has also done the same procedure on Kobe Bryant and other high-profile athletes. White went to Germany, had the treatment, and came back feeling better than ever.
And he was full of praise for Rodriguez when talking to MMA reporters yesterday:
The only way you can go there is to have a referral. A-Rod got me in. Love you, A-Rod. Thank you. I’m a Red Sox fan and an A-Rod fan now, trust me. Boston guys will have to deal with it. The guy saved me.
White is scheduled to go back for another round of treatment in three months.
Check out MMAFighting.com’s video of White’s full media session for a lot more about Rodriguez’s involvement in his treatment.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 23
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 66
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)