Apr 19, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
UFC president Dana White has Meniere’s disease, which the Mayo Clinic describes as “a disorder of the inner ear that causes spontaneous episodes of vertigo … along with fluctuating hearing loss, ringing in the ear, and sometimes a feeling of fullness or pressure in your ear.”
He’s undergone surgery that proved unsuccessful and has suffered multiple public attacks, so White was open to ideas for help and got one from Alex Rodriguez, who told him to seek treatment in Germany.
Rodriguez referred White to Dr. Peter Wehling in Dusseldorf, Germany, who put the Yankees third baseman through Orthokine blood-spinning treatment in 2011 for knee and shoulder injuries and has also done the same procedure on Kobe Bryant and other high-profile athletes. White went to Germany, had the treatment, and came back feeling better than ever.
And he was full of praise for Rodriguez when talking to MMA reporters yesterday:
The only way you can go there is to have a referral. A-Rod got me in. Love you, A-Rod. Thank you. I’m a Red Sox fan and an A-Rod fan now, trust me. Boston guys will have to deal with it. The guy saved me.
White is scheduled to go back for another round of treatment in three months.
Check out MMAFighting.com’s video of White’s full media session for a lot more about Rodriguez’s involvement in his treatment.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)