Apr 19, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
UFC president Dana White has Meniere’s disease, which the Mayo Clinic describes as “a disorder of the inner ear that causes spontaneous episodes of vertigo … along with fluctuating hearing loss, ringing in the ear, and sometimes a feeling of fullness or pressure in your ear.”
He’s undergone surgery that proved unsuccessful and has suffered multiple public attacks, so White was open to ideas for help and got one from Alex Rodriguez, who told him to seek treatment in Germany.
Rodriguez referred White to Dr. Peter Wehling in Dusseldorf, Germany, who put the Yankees third baseman through Orthokine blood-spinning treatment in 2011 for knee and shoulder injuries and has also done the same procedure on Kobe Bryant and other high-profile athletes. White went to Germany, had the treatment, and came back feeling better than ever.
And he was full of praise for Rodriguez when talking to MMA reporters yesterday:
The only way you can go there is to have a referral. A-Rod got me in. Love you, A-Rod. Thank you. I’m a Red Sox fan and an A-Rod fan now, trust me. Boston guys will have to deal with it. The guy saved me.
White is scheduled to go back for another round of treatment in three months.
Check out MMAFighting.com’s video of White’s full media session for a lot more about Rodriguez’s involvement in his treatment.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)