Apr 19, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
It’s been an awful week by just about any measure. The Astros are going to help honor those who were lost, injured or affected by the awfulness that went down, however:
The Astros will honor the victims of Boston and West, Texas with a moment of silence at the beginning of tonight’s game.
In addition, the Houston Astros are encouraging fans attending games during this homestand against Cleveland and Seattle (April 19-24) to please bring donation items to assist with the relief efforts in the aftermath of the devastation caused by the explosion at the fertilizer plant this week in West, Texas.
If you’re going to the game, or if you’re in the area, the items the Astros are collecting include the following:
- gift cards for grocery stores or home supply stores;
- travel size toiletries;
- powdered sports drinks;
- toilet paper;
- hand sanitizer;
- non-perishable canned or boxed food items;
- clean sheets and towels (new or gently used); and
- unopened boxed or bagged dog and cat food.
Cash donations will also be accepted and will be directed to the ongoing relief efforts.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (252)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)