Apr 19, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
It’s been an awful week by just about any measure. The Astros are going to help honor those who were lost, injured or affected by the awfulness that went down, however:
The Astros will honor the victims of Boston and West, Texas with a moment of silence at the beginning of tonight’s game.
In addition, the Houston Astros are encouraging fans attending games during this homestand against Cleveland and Seattle (April 19-24) to please bring donation items to assist with the relief efforts in the aftermath of the devastation caused by the explosion at the fertilizer plant this week in West, Texas.
If you’re going to the game, or if you’re in the area, the items the Astros are collecting include the following:
- gift cards for grocery stores or home supply stores;
- travel size toiletries;
- powdered sports drinks;
- toilet paper;
- hand sanitizer;
- non-perishable canned or boxed food items;
- clean sheets and towels (new or gently used); and
- unopened boxed or bagged dog and cat food.
Cash donations will also be accepted and will be directed to the ongoing relief efforts.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)