Astros will honor victims of Boston and West, Texas at tonight’s game, collect donations

Apr 19, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT

Plant Explosion Texas

It’s been an awful week by just about any measure. The Astros are going to help honor those who were lost, injured or affected by the awfulness that went down, however:

The Astros will honor the victims of Boston and West, Texas with a moment of silence at the beginning of tonight’s game.

In addition, the Houston Astros are encouraging fans attending games during this homestand against Cleveland and Seattle (April 19-24) to please bring donation items to assist with the relief efforts in the aftermath of the devastation caused by the explosion at the fertilizer plant this week in West, Texas.

If you’re going to the game, or if you’re in the area, the items the Astros are collecting include the following:

• diapers/wipes;
  • gift cards for grocery stores or home supply stores;
  • travel size toiletries;
  • powdered sports drinks;
  • toilet paper;
  • hand sanitizer;
  • non-perishable canned or boxed food items;
  • clean sheets and towels (new or gently used); and
  • unopened boxed or bagged dog and cat food.

Cash donations will also be accepted and will be directed to the ongoing relief efforts.

1. historiophiliac - Apr 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I seriously have been trying not to go off on all this today, but I just really want to tell everyone to fuck off now. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• apmn - Apr 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

What in hell is wrong with you?

• historiophiliac - Apr 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I’d be interested to know what you did today to remember the 168 people killed & 850 wounded 18 years ago. 30 children were orphaned that day. 219 lost at least one parent. 462 people were left homeless and 7,000 had no office to go back to work at. My sister was a student at the dental school nearby, and after that bombing, part of her training included helping to collect dental records to identify bodies. I’m just certain you must have remembered it.

• apmn - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I am terribly sorry, but I am sure that the Astros and every other MLB team had a moment of silence in 1995 for the OKC bombing. If we had worldwide memorial services for every tragedy of the 20th century in which large numbers of people were killed and injured, life would be one long moment of silence. What did you do today to remember the start of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising in 1943? Tens of thousands were killed and shipped off to concentration camps. I sympathize with you and the victims of the OKC bombing, but for you to tell everyone to fuck off because we are focused on more recent events is not right.

That being said, thanks for the reminder. Peace!

• historiophiliac - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:48 PM

You don’t have any idea if anyone paid tribute to OKC or not (but obviously they don’t do it annually even though they certainly do it for 9/11). Don’t just say stuff if you don’t know. I had no idea there was a statute of limitations on grieving tragedies. What exactly is that, can you tell me? You don’t sympathize with anyone in Oklahoma (and obviously not in Warsaw either), and the fact that you have to be reminded to recall an event of that scope when it hasn’t even been two decades, means you can fuck off twice. Be a grown up and just take your lumps. Don’t try to make me the jackass here to defend yourself.

• apmn - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM

You are right, I don’t know what you have been through, and I am glad that you are getting your frustration out instead of bottling it up.

I wasn’t trying to make you out to be the jackass, I was just trying to explain to you why we didn’t know what in hell you were talking about in your initial post.

People tend to forget about things over time. It is how we cope with life without completely losing our minds. And the time it takes for people to forget an event is generally proportional to their proximity to it. That is reality.

I am sorry to have pissed you off so much, and don’t presume that I am being snarky about it. And don’t presume that I have no sympathy, either.

• apmn - Apr 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Scratch that last post. You are hurting and instead of offering all the comfort I possibly could, I tried to lecture you and justify myself out of one side of my mouth while sympathizing with the other. I am sorry.

• Gardenhire's Cat - Apr 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Seriously? There has been multiple horrific tragedies within the past week and this is how you respond?

• historiophiliac - Apr 19, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Neither CNN nor NBC featured stories on the Oklahoma City bombing today — but both had stories on Kim Kardashian’s divorce…and of course, Boston — all day Boston. I expect that kind of self-absorption from the East Coast, but it really hurts to come from the Astros. Really, Texas?

We had a memorial ceremony today. NONE of you came.

• js20011041 - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM

What kind of a narcissistic asshole complains that other people are honoring a RECENT loss of life?

• historiophiliac - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM

A quick check shows that the websites for CBS, ABC & Fox did not have stories on OKC either.

• historiophiliac - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Seriously? Because it didn’t happen this week you don’t give a shit. News flash: my whole life and that of a lot of other people changed forever in 1995. The fact that you don’t care because it’s been a couple of years makes YOU the narcissistic asshole.

• ptfu - Apr 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

But why does it have to be a zero-sum game? Why does mention of Boston have to preclude or prevent mention of OKC ’95?

It’s one thing to say that the awful OKC tragedy is being forgotten.* There’s something in that, no doubt. But wrapping that up in saying there’s too much coverage of a fresh tragedy is not going to sway anyone to your point of view.

It’s also quite a leap to assume that people don’t care about things that happened before this week. Some don’t…but some do.

*Everyone who has not been to the memorial there needs to go. This is not optional. Do it. I have decided for you. Go.

• historiophiliac - Apr 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM

It doesn’t — and that’s part of my point: here, on the anniversary of the OKC bombing, they are going to ignore it completely after talking about Boston ad nauseum all week. Is it so much to give us some recognition too (and honestly, the tributes earlier this week weren’t enough, really?)? To be honest, I’m so freaking pissed, I’m not trying to sway anyone. I don’t care what anyone thinks, as the people who have commented here obviously don’t care about what I do. I was responding to specific comments on this thread.

Don’t kid yourself. Hardly anyone on here is going to come to Oklahoma to see the memorial. It’s not like last year there was a lot of noise about it nationally either. It’s just more obnoxious this year b/c of the news coverage today.

• drewzducks - Apr 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Necrophiliac is pathetic. Did he want all the teams to have a moment of silence for all the innocent children killed in the Waco fiasco 20 years ago today? Boston was and still is an ongoing situation.

2. jlovenotjlo - Apr 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Get a grip.

3. lapsncaps - Apr 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I would like to thank the Astro organization for this endeavor. I would also like to add that EVERY team should be doing the same for their current/next stint of home games.

4. michaelvicklikespoodlesandnoodles - Apr 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Not strictly sports-related, but I would sure like to know if a fellow by the name of Donald Adair (owner of West Fertilizer, the plant in West, TX that was blown to smithereens) has himself or with the help of his employees made a run on his dime for bottled water, diapers, TP, and the other items mentioned in this article. Considering that it was an explosion at his plant that blew the town off the map in the first place, it would only seem fair.

Yet another WS run for the Giants