Apr 19, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
It’s been an awful week by just about any measure. The Astros are going to help honor those who were lost, injured or affected by the awfulness that went down, however:
The Astros will honor the victims of Boston and West, Texas with a moment of silence at the beginning of tonight’s game.
In addition, the Houston Astros are encouraging fans attending games during this homestand against Cleveland and Seattle (April 19-24) to please bring donation items to assist with the relief efforts in the aftermath of the devastation caused by the explosion at the fertilizer plant this week in West, Texas.
If you’re going to the game, or if you’re in the area, the items the Astros are collecting include the following:
- gift cards for grocery stores or home supply stores;
- travel size toiletries;
- powdered sports drinks;
- toilet paper;
- hand sanitizer;
- non-perishable canned or boxed food items;
- clean sheets and towels (new or gently used); and
- unopened boxed or bagged dog and cat food.
Cash donations will also be accepted and will be directed to the ongoing relief efforts.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)