Apr 19, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Taylor Green has been sidelined by a hip injury since March 21 and the Brewers announced today that first baseman/third baseman will undergo surgery next week.
No word yet on an official return timetable, but Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the Brewers expect Green to be “out for an extended period.” Green had been made progress in his recovery, but suffered a setback recently during an extended spring training game.
Had he been healthy Green likely would have been the Brewers’ starting first baseman with Corey Hart and Mat Gamel also injured. Green struggled as a part-time player last season, but has hit .311 with a .900 OPS in 197 games at Triple-A.
UPDATE: The Brewers announced that he’ll miss the entire season.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 17
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)