Apr 19, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Taylor Green has been sidelined by a hip injury since March 21 and the Brewers announced today that first baseman/third baseman will undergo surgery next week.
No word yet on an official return timetable, but Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the Brewers expect Green to be “out for an extended period.” Green had been made progress in his recovery, but suffered a setback recently during an extended spring training game.
Had he been healthy Green likely would have been the Brewers’ starting first baseman with Corey Hart and Mat Gamel also injured. Green struggled as a part-time player last season, but has hit .311 with a .900 OPS in 197 games at Triple-A.
UPDATE: The Brewers announced that he’ll miss the entire season.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)