Apr 19, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Taylor Green has been sidelined by a hip injury since March 21 and the Brewers announced today that first baseman/third baseman will undergo surgery next week.
No word yet on an official return timetable, but Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the Brewers expect Green to be “out for an extended period.” Green had been made progress in his recovery, but suffered a setback recently during an extended spring training game.
Had he been healthy Green likely would have been the Brewers’ starting first baseman with Corey Hart and Mat Gamel also injured. Green struggled as a part-time player last season, but has hit .311 with a .900 OPS in 197 games at Triple-A.
UPDATE: The Brewers announced that he’ll miss the entire season.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 22
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 35
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)