Apr 19, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
Taylor Green has been sidelined by a hip injury since March 21 and the Brewers announced today that first baseman/third baseman will undergo surgery next week.
No word yet on an official return timetable, but Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the Brewers expect Green to be “out for an extended period.” Green had been made progress in his recovery, but suffered a setback recently during an extended spring training game.
Had he been healthy Green likely would have been the Brewers’ starting first baseman with Corey Hart and Mat Gamel also injured. Green struggled as a part-time player last season, but has hit .311 with a .900 OPS in 197 games at Triple-A.
UPDATE: The Brewers announced that he’ll miss the entire season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)